printingWhiz

Adding support to TPU structure

Posted · Adding support to TPU structure

Hello,

For the past two weeks I have been really struggling with how to add supports to a TPU structure I have. I have been playing around with PVA without any luck and have recently ordered Breakaway as well. The problem with PVA is that the material quality is so bad. I once tried printing the structure with a faster print speed at 25mm/s and the quality of TPU was amazing except that the TPU would stop extruding mid print. So I decreased the print speed to 10 mm/s, but now the printing quality is terrible. I feel like I really don't know what to do other than adding custom supports. For reference, my model is shown below. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.92e828850207bbecb5c1e5e23d20a135.png

6 hours ago, printingWhiz said:

Hello,

For the past two weeks I have been really struggling with how to add supports to a TPU structure I have. I have been playing around with PVA without any luck and have recently ordered Breakaway as well. The problem with PVA is that the material quality is so bad. I once tried printing the structure with a faster print speed at 25mm/s and the quality of TPU was amazing except that the TPU would stop extruding mid print. So I decreased the print speed to 10 mm/s, but now the printing quality is terrible. I feel like I really don't know what to do other than adding custom supports. For reference, my model is shown below. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.92e828850207bbecb5c1e5e23d20a135.png

First of all, is your material (including the TPU!) dry? Make sure it is, because wet TPU will always print with terrible quality.

Also, one suggestion: Have you tried just making the supports out of TPU, using single extrusion? I found the TPU supports quite easy to remove in many cases.

The printing quality of TPU without any support PVA is oftentimes really good so I don't think the TPU is wet. However, I have never tried TPU support. Do I just enable it as a support or design my own custom supports? Additionally, can I use breakaway as a support?

OK, that is good - one source of errors less :)

Just use your TPU extruder for both the model and the supports. You may have to tweak the support settings a bit. I never tried breakaway as support material for TPU, since for my parts TPU supports have been adequate so far.

Thank you so much! I am printing the model with TPU support and I will let you know how it comes out.

I was finally able to print it out although it was a little cumbersome to remove the structures. As you said, a little tweaking should get the job done, however. Once again, thank you so much for the help @P3D!

12 hours ago, printingWhiz said:

I was finally able to print it out although it was a little cumbersome to remove the structures. As you said, a little tweaking should get the job done, however. Once again, thank you so much for the help @P3D!

That's good to hear ☺️

You're very welcome, glad that I could help you on this :)

I usually design custom supports, so that I can make sure that I can get in there with a knife, or get in with pliers and hooks to pull out the support. In custom support I can also increase or decrease clearances as desired.

Some of my usual examples, in case you need ideas:

Various support concepts. The ribs (0.5mm wide, 1mm aparat) on top allow tighter clearances.

support_ideas1.thumb.jpg.01b652b9b15851890834b65181100d91.jpg

Orange and pink are supports: they have extensions so I can grab them with a plier, as the model is too tiny to get in with a knife. The brim is for added bonding, due to the large overhangs (they float above the yellow).

ostrcp_key_v20_zoom.thumb.jpg.c85991865979ff09557a37d9ca6ad20f.jpg

A totally free hanging support: easy to remove, consumes very few material, and does not damage the underlying parts. The inverted staircase at the underside of the support reduces its tendency to curl up, compared to a triangle shape.

clamp1.thumb.jpg.376227acc930e40f6de8d3919b3f0a7f.jpg