leoheck

Cura 4.2.1 + Ender 3

Posted · Cura 4.2.1 + Ender 3

I just installed Cura 4.2.1 (I was using 4.1.0) and the layer height settings has changed for my Ender 3.

Before, I use to have 0.1, 0.15, 0.2, 0.3  as layer heights available.

Now I have something like 0.12, 0.16, 0.2, 0.28.

I don't know if it is ok but I feel that it is not a good thing.

Is it is it ok? I was not able to print something good with this Cura 4.2.1 yet. Using the 4.1 again and it works just fine.

It shows a hint that other profiles are not activated and while I was able to clone profiles in the settings menu that you access through the "manage materials" option. I was not able to change any values within those changed profiles other than the names of the profile so I am not sure if I am doing this right or if it was meant this way at all. Any help with reactivating the 0.4 layer hight profile is greatly appreciated.

those layer heights are intentional.  the ender 3 prints best with layer heights in multiples of 0.04(since that's the minimum layer change of the ender 3).  CHEP goes over why in this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIkT8asT90A

As far as activating profiles, as best I can tell older profiles that don't use the "creawesome mod" that was absorbed into 4.2.1 will not work.  You'll have to make new profiles.

Instead of updating, I just installed 4.2.1 separately, so I can still open 3.6.0, 4.0, or 4.2.1 and use those older versions and profiles as I update and customize 4.2.1 to my liking.

Hi,

thanks for taking the time to answer! What you say sounds most logical and I went ahead and got 4.1 back so I could go on printing the way I am used to. I am not against having the new layer hights thing is just that the highest layer hight that was offered to me was .32 and that is almost 25% slower than the 0.4 that I used to use. 

If anyone could show me how to make a new profile that allows for 0.4 it would be highly appreciated. I often do mockup prints with 10% infill and 0.4 layer hight to see how things will look before I go for the good quality so this layer hight is really important to me.