Reznor9

Need help with S3D bridge settings for PLA

Posted (edited) · Need help with S3D bridge settings for PLA

Im printing in PLA using the default settings for the UM2 in Simplify3d and its not printing bridging very well.. seems to go very slow and it oozes all over the place.

Im currently printing a temp tower to see if there is any improvement with variations in temp... 

so far Ive tried turing fans 100% on bridging, increasing speed by 100% on bridging and Ive activated apply bridging settings to perimeter and that didn't seem to fix.

Id also like to add that I have upgraded my feeder to a Bondtech QR and Ive upgraded the firmware as instructed by bondtech.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Reznor9

Posted · Need help with S3D bridge settings for PLA

update. Ran the temp tower test using temps beteeen 220-180 in 5 degree intervals. The temp of 180 seems to produce the best bridging but still has a slight sagging of the initial passes. 

I had my extrusion multiplier at 1.5 and turned it down to 1.0 and ran the test again but came out with basically the same results. Should I keep going lower on the. Extrusion multiplier or is there another setting I should be looking at?

Some pictures would be helpful

6 hours ago, johnse said:

Some pictures would be helpful

Here is the temp tower results. 

D5E9FAE6-16C5-4F6B-B72B-3B86184D2E90.jpeg

Okay so I started a print using the 180 temp since it seemed to be the one that offered the best bridging. But now my prints seem to be really weak. Just printed a Philament astronaut guy and he is very frail. I can squeeze him to pieces between two fingers. So I guess I’m not getting good layer adhesion at this temp. Any advice? Or does anyone have a S3D profile I can try?

I don’t have any experience with S3D. From your tower, I’d suggest boosting temp to 190 for better layer adhesion. I would also not use so much overextrusion.

Have you tried Cura?

I used cura when I first got my 3d printer about two years ago. But I didn’t like not being able to control my support structures so I went with S3D. It’s worked flawless for my on my other printers. But I’m just having issues trying to tune it for the UM2.