Linux: Latest MESA update leaves Cura unusable, even after backing out update

grizewald

Posted (edited) · Linux: Latest MESA update leaves Cura unusable, even after backing out update

This isn't the first time this has happened but I've always been able to recover from it before...

I'm running LinuxMint 19.2 and this evening the updater prompted me to install a bunch of updates. One of them was the latest MESA update and knowing that these updates often break Cura, I made a fresh snapshot with Timeshift so that I could roll out the update if there was a problem.

Sure enough, after the update, Cura shows me a screen with no menus or toolbars. It looks like this:

cura.png

Here's the problem though. I rolled out the update, rebooted and restarted Cura and there's no difference! When this has happened before, backing out the offending MESA update restores Cura to sanity. This time, Cura seems to have updated some kind of internal setting and now it's permanently broken. 😞 I'm running the 64-bit AppImage and Cura 4.2.1.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make Cura work again? Preferably without losing all my printer and print profiles?

Edited by grizewald
  • Like 1

Posted · Linux: Latest MESA update leaves Cura unusable, even after backing out update
16 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

Hi @grizewald, a tale of woe, indeed. Can you please share the cura.log and stderr.log files? Thanks.

Sure. Here's cura.log.gz

and stderr.log.gz

Both compressed with gzip to save my bandwidth. I couldn't upload them to the forum due to the 511MB file size limit.

Posted · Linux: Latest MESA update leaves Cura unusable, even after backing out update
    3 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Looks familiar. Have you tried clearing the shadercache?

In ~/.cache folder, there's a cache called: 'qtshadercache'.

See https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/5296

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Sanity is restored and 'rm -rf ~/.cache/qtshadercache/*' is recorded in my Cura notes for next time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the logs. Looking at cura.log, the reported OpenGL version changed on the 14th of August (19.0.2 to 19.0.8) so it's not obvious what happened today and I can see that Aldo's suggestion worked for you. Happy days!

3 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

Thanks for the logs. Looking at cura.log, the reported OpenGL version changed on the 14th of August (19.0.2 to 19.0.8) so it's not obvious what happened today and I can see that Aldo's suggestion worked for you. Happy days!

The update that caused the problem doesn't change the MESA version number. In the packaging, the old version (currently installed) is 19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.1 and the update is 19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.2.

The change log lists nothing which should cause worry:

* i965-revert-enabling-softpin.diff: Dropped, unnecessary by now and
        broke Ice Lake which needs softpin. (LP: #1815172)
      * rules: Force -DNDEBUG, meson < 0.47 is buggy and doesn't set it even
        if we have b_ndebug=true. (LP: #1841412)

But then again, it wouldn't be the first time that a change log doesn't tell the whole story...

Had the exact same problem just now with the Mesa update. I've taken to generating a system snapshot before every 'upgrade' in Mint 19.2. Someone isn't paying attention lately. A simple restore of the snapshot cures the problem.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:13 PM, lali said:

Had the exact same problem just now with the Mesa update. I've taken to generating a system snapshot before every 'upgrade' in Mint 19.2. Someone isn't paying attention lately. A simple restore of the snapshot cures the problem.

That's odd. Restoring the snapshot didn't fix it for me this time around, which is logical if the update causes QT's cached shader data (which is in my home directory and excluded from the snapshot) to become invalid.

I guess there's more than one thing that gets broken when MESA is updated.

That's very good to know. I was feeling so smug.

I've added ''rm -rf ~/.cache/qtshadercache/*" to my notes, also.