Problems with the UM2+

Hatim

Posted · Problems with the UM2+

Hello everyone, 

So I just bought a used UM2+, with less than 500 hours of printing. I installed it, I followed all the steps, and when I got to the step where I should wait for the extruder to extrude some filament, nothing gets out. I called the seller, and he suggested that I push myself the filament in, which I did, and it extruded correctly. Now I wanted to change the filament, and bom, when the nozzle wants to go the top left corner, it acts like if something is preventing it from moving and it makes very weird sound, so I shut it down directly. I'm very upset, because I decided to go for an Ultimaker in order to print my objects with no problem, and I couldn't get a single good print yet. 

Is there any help ?

Thank you;

Are you sure your reseller did not put in any type of travel safety? Did you check if all the axis are snapped fully in the black blocks holding them? 

For the extruder you could check if the extruder wheel looks dirty or worn out, this could explain the printer not extruding. If this does not help you could look at thightening or loosening the extruder screw. 

How does the print head move when you move it by hand? Does it move around right then?

Yes when I move it by hand it moves normally

Have you tried to carefully restart it and look if the problem happens again?

Yes, I restarted it several times, but it always happens when I ask to change the filament. I don't know if it's a hardware problem, or if I missed something or did it in the wrong way. The funny thing is that it did the bed leveling the first time I turned it on correctly and without any problems

Maybe I should try going back to the factory settings and see what happens ?

You could try that and instal the latest firmware.

You think it's a firmware problem ? not a hardware one ?

No i would surely expect it to be hardware, but if you try to do a factory reset might as wel try that.

I would look at the motors and belts to look whether anything is stuck. 

Posted (edited) · Problems with the UM2+

Okay. I'll check all that when I get home thie evening. I'll let you know here. Thank you for your answers

Edited by Hatim

Perhaps you can upload a video of the movement of the print head and the sound that it makes. Perhaps it is just a matter of correcting the lever of the limit switch. 

Perhaps you could also upload a photo of your extruder, so we could check if anything looks off. Thanks!

Of corse, I can't do that now because I'm not home, but as soon as I get there I will upload that 🙂 

Hello again,

So I got the video but I don't know how to upload it. Can any body tell me how please ?

Can you host it on a platform like dropbox or youtube, and link it here? 

Hello;

Sorry for my late answer.

Actually, I called the seller and we found that the the small steel rod was moved during tansportation maybe, so it couldn't actuate the end of stroke switch.

I think it should be okay now. I tried two prints on it, and it seems to work. 

The quality wasn't as good as I expected, I got better prints on the ender 3 that I have at work, but I think it's because I didn't tune the options right ? 

I tried the Marlin G code, but the machine just refused to extrude any material, so I came back to the UM G code

The reason I went to Marlin is to have access to some options like the temperature of the nozzle and of the bed. Do you have any ideas how to activate these options with the UM G code ?