vagulus

Vertical Offset in Cura 4.3.0

Posted · Vertical Offset in Cura 4.3.0

I like to have 1.5 mm of support below the bottom surface of my models.  It makes it easier to remove the model from the support mat.

How do I set Cura 4.3.0 to give me that gap and the support in it?

Try taking a look at Raft settings:

1. Select "Raft" under Build Plate Adhesion
  2. Type "raft" into the settings search, this will bring up all the settings that have "raft" in the name.

Are we sure we are talking about the same thing?

I am not talking about a (e.g. 0.15 mm) 'gap' between the raft and the model which is supposed to stop the model sticking to the raft like a limpet on a rock.  I am talking about elevating the model 1.5 mm above the raft and filling that space with support material.  Is that what they call 'Raft Air Gap' ?

Are we sure we are talking about the same thing?

I am not talking about a (e.g. 0.15 mm) 'gap' between the raft and the model which is supposed to stop the model sticking to the raft like a limpet on a rock.  I am talking about elevating the model 1.5 mm above the raft and filling that space with support material.  Is that what they call 'Raft Air Gap' ?

There is a setting available for offset in Z axis but when you change it it immediately reverts to zero.  I can't set it to 1.5 and have the model jump up!

Lock Model.png

I'm suggesting using a raft as the support buffer.

But if you really just want to raise the model, look in Preferences. There is a setting "Automatically drop models to the build plate" that is enabled by default.

Ah Ha!

Thanks

BTW:  I am printing on BuildTak and I find that support doesn't stick well to the surface.  So, I create a raft and use 1.5 mm of support under the model without any high density layer on top.  The model builds on the support just fine but I can then remove the model from the support without a struggle.

Do you have a better method?