Ultimaker-2 3rd fan not working

cor3ys

Posted · Ultimaker-2 3rd fan not working

Hi Guys

Sent a support ticket in last Friday but no reply as yet, bit concerning after spending just short of £2000.

My 3rd fan on the back of the print head is not working since i got my ultimaker 2 being new to 3d printing i am looking for some guidance on how to diagnose the issue and fix it, and also what it means if i print without this fan working will it break the machine etc.

I have cheeked the cables under the black covering by the print head all fans are plugged in and all wires are attached to the plugs, i have slightly pulled the 2 wires to make sure the other end of the wires are attached to the fan and all seems good...

Now i am stuck as to what to do next as support are not replying to support tickets.

Print head Blue & Pink rear fan wires

gallery_21401_261_558019.jpg

Wires location on board

gallery_21401_261_412333.jpg

Posted · Ultimaker-2 3rd fan not working

First thing that needs to be done is someone with a working UM2 out there needs to explain what is the minimum you have to do to get the fan going. Does it have to get up to a certain temp? Does it turn on when the heater first turns on? Can you set nozzle to 50C and will that turn on the rear fan? Or does it come on even when head is cold/off?

Then I would probe on the board - those pink/blue wires and see if you get a voltage at the board. Then probe at the fan. Then - everywhere in between.

- George

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• Introducing Universal Cura Projects in the UltiMaker Cura 5.7 beta
        Strap in for the first Cura release of 2024! This 5.7 beta release brings new material profiles as well as cloud printing for Method series printers, and introduces a powerful new way of sharing print settings using printer-agnostic project files! Also, if you want to download the cute dinosaur card holder featured below, it was specially designed for this release and can be found on Thingiverse! 
        • 10 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies