Start.gcode: Bed and heater is turned on before you get a chance to fire M80

dumle29

Posted · Start.gcode: Bed and heater is turned on before you get a chance to fire M80

So, I am currently setting up an i3 with RAMPS 1.4, and an ATX PSU. The ATX standard calls for at least 500mA standby current, and the PS_on wire is hooked up to the PS_on connector on the RAMPS board. M80 and M81 successfully turns on and off the PSU with manual control, but when your Gcode comes along and tries to turn on the heated bed and hotend on your 500mA standby current, well you loose power.

So request: Have the start.gcode actually be put in the beginning of the gcode, and have the default contents of start.gcode to be:

;Generated with {slicer}
M140 S{bed_temp}
M109 T{extruder0} S{hotend0_temp}
T{extruder}
M190 S{bed_temp}
;Sliced at: {day} {date} {time}
;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}
;Print time: {print_time}
;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
G21 ;metric values
G90 ;absolute positioning
M107 ;start with the fan off
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F200 E5 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
G1 F{travel_speed}
M117 Printing...

Where {slicer} would output something like: Cura_SteamEngine 13.10

Posted · Start.gcode: Bed and heater is turned on before you get a chance to fire M80

The start gcode is included in the output file (unless you specify Ultigcode as your machine type, iirc). And you're free to edit the start gcode in Cura and have it do whatever you want in your particular case.

What I don't entirely understand is what you are trying to achieve by editing the start gcode in this way - how is this practically different from the standard start gcode?

You can add:

M104 S{print_temperature}

M190 S{print_bed_temperature}

M109 S{print_temperature}

To the start code, and get the behaviour you want. And it will no longer add the own temperture commands as it sees you have the proper tags in the start code.

Why this is not default? Well, because not everyone has a heated bed or uses a heated bed, at which point the M190 commands do not need to be added or the printer will hang on that.

(Yes, there is logic to the mess, really)

Ahh thanks Daid: It is late, and for some reason I read the commented out section as a sort of legend for available {tags}

:p

Thanks for the help :)

If you save your profile as an ini file and look in there - pretty much anything in there can be a {} tag in your stat or end gcode settings.

I've patched up the default code to have commented M109, M190 commands explaining that you can uncomment those to use them. As this has been asked multiple times.

(Basic rule, if multiple people ask for the same feature that is already in the software, then the feature is not accessible enough)

Sounds great :)

As a little note, it turned out that standby current is actually available on a seperate 5v standby rail, which I hadn't checked prior to posting this :/ silly me. Still I learned what can be done with the start / end gcode files :)