Optimize wall printing order does not work

tonycstech

Posted · Optimize wall printing order does not work

As you can see here, each wall is printed one after another.

Each wall is 1mm thick. Nozzle is 0.5mm so each wall will have nozzle outlining them 2 times, correct ?

Correct.

Problem is that it DOES NOT. It outlines once, then changes to another wall, and so on, until it comes all the way back around continuing to the end.

This problem existed for ages and i dont understand why of all the features there are, behavior is the same for ages.

Test.jpg.6bd82b566dfb408970cb47d964e70e21.jpg

I believe this is because they print the inner walls first and then the outer walls...or thr reverse if you select that setting. If you had 3 walls I think you’d see it do the two inner walls on each numbered shape, and then the outer walls.

Posted (edited) · Optimize wall printing order does not work

Outer Before Inner Walls ?

That option reverses the wall order but does not solve the problem.

Each perimeter of the same wall is printed separately no matter what i do.

Cura did this since the start.

Slicer also does that. Annoying as hell.

I dont understand why when printing a circle, you want to retract, then travel to a new place, prime and then draw, then retract, travel back where you came, prime and continue the same circle.

Why not just start and finish the circle before traveling somewhere ?  Is it so hard to do ? Its common sense.

You print one part at the time unless something gets in the way that forces you to shift.

In this case, absolutely nothing was in the way. You can literally make 2 holes and it will print them one perimeter at the time instead of all perimeters of the same circle at once.

Looking at the color by line type, for some reasons one of the walls perimeter color is the color of infill.

Thats probably the reason why cura is confused.
    It thinks that its not a wall at all. Maybe its an easy fix ?

Test.thumb.jpg.1bf02c1cf1c59f383f651d09689e1fde.jpg

Edited by tonycstech

Maybe this behaviour is because sometimes the outer wall encloses multiple inner walls at once? For example when printing a lot of small circles touching each other. Then the inner walls may all be separate circles, but the outer wall might enclose them all at once. So it is just one uninterrupted outline. Just guessing, but I could see this as a reason.

Edit: or vice-versa, as in this picture below: here the outer walls around the holes are separate circles, but the inner wall is one long connected outline.

DSCN6083.thumb.JPG.6fa2f0776aca10a340718c2065decdbf.JPG

Edited by geert_2

Look at my last picture. 2 round openings have no path abstractions that would force nozzle to jump out and print elsewhere, yet it does jump out and prints elsewhere.

The only place where it does happen on my picture is at the square opening.

I understand your picture. Having all circles interconnected in one move is not good example for the problem i am describing.

Edited by tonycstech

I gave you what I believe to be the algorithm. Let me state it a different way, and also answer your question about line colors.

the yellow wall lines are the “inner” walls. The red are the skin, “outer“ walls.

It prints all of the inner walls first. Then it prints all the outer walls. 

The Outer before Inner simply swaps the order of these operations.