Ultimaker 3 open source firmware?

disilva

Posted · Ultimaker 3 open source firmware?

Hi all,

I know Ultimaker 3 has open source hardware but my question is...

Can I modify the UM3 firmware for changing some parameters or programming methods?

I'm very interested in buying this 3D printer, but only If I can customize my own firmware (<<as start from scratch>>).

Thank you!

Hi

no the firmware is not open source and you are not able to use your own firmware.

But you have access to the whole system via SSH if you want and can then modify the files.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 open source firmware?
    57 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Hola

no, el firmware no es de código abierto y no puede utilizar su propio firmware.

Pero tiene acceso a todo el sistema a través de SSH si lo desea y luego puede modificar los archivos.

Hi! Thank you.

Hmm... Is there any Ultimaker model that it is allowed to change programming methods for modifying paths or something?

To sum up, Can I access to source code to modify it?

Edited by disilva

For Ultimaker2 for sure, many people are using f.e. the alternative "tinker" firmware for there machine.

https://github.com/TinkerGnome

I'm not sure what you want to archieve, but you may also want to have a look at Duet3D electronics for printers (I use it in 2 Ultimaker machines) where you can modify many parameters without having to recompile firmware...

https://duet3d.dozuki.com/#Section_Firmware

• Thanks 1

As @ultiarjan said, the UM2(+) and UMO are completely open source.

Though I'd like to add that:

1. The python code running on the UM3 S5 and S3 is readable/writable. If you enable developer mode you can log into the printer and gain access. The UM3 display is then the only exception, the S5 and S3 display use plain readable python and qml for the display as well.
    2. I was also given to understand from some of the support members that if you have the UM3/S5/S3 and request the open source code you'd get more than just the marlin code. The marlin code is most definitely open source and available upon request.
    3. A lot of the parameters you might want to change in the UM3 are in configuration files so depending on what you want to do it might be easier to modify this in small ways. look in /usr/share/machines/um3.json and related files in that directory on the UM3/S5/S3 for some examples. but for instance the steps per unit (a unit being a mm of motion) can be easily changed if you changed your feeder for instance.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheodorK said:

@robinmdh Is there by chance any documentation/product-guide available on how to flash the software on the olimex board of the UM3/S5/S3?

you can unbrick the firmware and flash a new rom into it using these guides:

or 567519794_WorkInstructionsUltimaker3firmwarerecovery.pdf

if you want to change the software on the printer manually you can also just log in via SSH look up @Daid's "inside the ultimaker 3" set of topics. You can just install software via apt if you apt-get update first, this data should not be stored after reboot but whatever you installed is still be there.

I hope that helps @TheodorK

Thanks a lot! This document will be very helpfull.

Just one more question, is it neseccary to have the interface board present on the olimex board while flashing firmware? because when looking at the schematics, I only see a couple of small IC's and a translating transceiver IC, so not any 'intelligent' electronics which could affect the flashing process, am I correct?

Also, I think that there is a really small mistake in the PDF file, where the line of LED T is pointing to capacitor C4 instead of the LED to the top right of C4, noting bad but I small detail I noticed.