Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
Nicolinux

Autodesk Fusion 360 now supports mesh data

Hi,

I have written about Fusion 360 before. But now it gets really interesting for us. You can import stock .stl files and start modifying them! That's crazy useful. Once one gets past the somewhat complex workflow/interface of Fusion 360, it is very easy to design/customize models.

As far as I know Fusion 360 is free for non-commercial use.

Check out the folowing video:

Link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Design-Differently/Unleash-your-Mesh-abilities/ba-p/4557213

Hi Nicolinux,

I have seen you are using Fusion 360 and are active on their forum. I just started to work on fusion and it is a promising effort to merge nurbs based modeling with solid modeling. But the interface resists me all the time. Especially when you come from DesignSpark where the interface usually suggests the right thing to do....do you get over that with some exercise? Plus the thing is extremely unstable and you lose work because of the cloud connection. If the program hangs you cannot do a successful crash recovery because the stuff takes an eternity to save.

Did you get anything you came up with in Fusion successfully to the printer?

I have been using fusion recently and for the most part it is very good for modelling and exporting to .stl.

However it is very unstable and does have a habit of crashing. cmd_s is your friend there. I have gotten into the habit of saving very frequently.

I haven't tried importing stl's yet but i might give it a go.

To be honest I am working with Moment of Inspiration now. Havent tried Fusion since the last update. And since Designspark Mechanical is Windows only, I did skip it. Will try Fusion again for sure. The .stl importing feature alone is very cool.

But so is Meshmixer too and way more fun to use :)