Remove Disallowed Area

BryanU

Posted · Remove Disallowed Area

Hi Everyone, 

New here. I have a custom built Ultimaker 2+ with a built area of 310 * 310. 

I have being printing and using the settings of Ultimaker 2+ with great results, but I had always print things within the area of Ultimaker 2+ bed. 

Now, I needed to make use of the 310 * 310 bed but the Bed Clip on Cura is at its original place even though I had change the Build Volume in the settings. 
I found in some thread here that I need to remove the disallowed areas from the .def.json file. But I couldnt locate the file at all and which part of the file I need to edit out. 

Hope someone can help. Thanks. 

PS: I know I can just create a custom profile in Cura with m custom built area. But I didnt want to change any of the settings since I am able to get good results from it. Thanks

To extend or setup everything else, you should take a look in the printer definition files. 

Additionally the build plate you see in Cura is just a picture, so even if you extend your build volume, the picture remains as is. But as far as I know the grayed areas are build dynamically depending on the printer definition.

I am on a Mac and the printer definition files are within the application package. You can copy the UM2+ profile from there and place it into the user configuration folder (definitions). Otherwise you would loose your profile after a Cura update.

You have to search for the folder in Windows. The folder is called definitions and the file you want to copy is named ultimaker2_plus.def.json

• Like 1

And, the definition file inherits values from other profiles, in case of the UM2+, some values are inherited from the UM2 profile, but as soon as you found the folder, you will see what I mean.

In the profile there are also the disallowed areas you are looking for:

"machine_disallowed_areas": {
                "default_value": [
                    [[-115,  112.5], [ -78,  112.5], [ -80,  102.5], [-115,  102.5]],
                    [[ 115,  112.5], [ 115,  102.5], [ 105,  102.5], [ 103,  112.5]],
                    [[-115, -112.5], [-115, -104.5], [ -84, -104.5], [ -82, -112.5]],
                    [[ 115, -112.5], [ 108, -112.5], [ 110, -104.5], [ 115, -104.5]]
                ]
            }

The build plate size is inherited from the UM2, but you can override it in your custom profile:

"machine_width": {
                "default_value": 223
            },
            "machine_depth": {
                "default_value": 223
            },
            "machine_height": {
                "default_value": 205
            },

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

.....You have to search for the folder in Windows. The folder is called definitions and the file you want to copy is named ultimaker2_plus.def.json

Hi Smithy, 

Thank you for your reply and explaining step by step on how to delete the disallowed areas. 

But I have one problem. I went to open Cura (4.3.0) and at HELP -> Show Configuration Folder -> "definitions" folder (my folder is EMPTY). There's another folder called "definitions_changes" but inside are all "settings.inst" files. 

Where do I go about finding the ".def.json" files in Local C drive? 

Thanks in advance 🙂

I don't use windows so I cannot give you a detailed path, but the configuration folder is for user configurations, so your new profile should go there. The profiles which are delivered with Cura are in another place. On the Mac they are within the application package/folder, so I guess you will find it in Windows on a similar place. Check the folder where the exe is, there should be also somewhere the definitions folder with all the profiles that comes with windows.

Another possibility is to search for the file on drive C.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Remove Disallowed Area
    13 hours ago, DivingDuck said:

The delivered one are: c:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.3\resources\definitions\

DivingDuck, thank you for showing me where the JSON files are on Windows. It works. 

On 11/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, Smithy said:

And, the definition file inherits values from other profiles, in case of the UM2+, some values are inherited from the UM2 profile, but as soon as you found the folder, you will see what I mean.

Smithy, thank you for your explaination and help. IT WORKS. 

I did try to write off the Disallowed Area in Ultiamker2_plus file first, but it didnt work. I then edit the Ultimaker2.def files instead, writing off the Disallowed Area and change the built volume of X,Y and Z. 

Now my models in Cura can fit into my built volume and slice without problem, while retaining the settings of Ultimakr2+ I had used. 

Thank you 

Edited by BryanU