Cura 4.3.0 - CR10S Long Print Times? Help please

RSW

Posted · Cura 4.3.0 - CR10S Long Print Times? Help please

I recently upgraded to 4.3 and it seems my print times have gotten longer but only related to Creality based printers. Is there some hidden settings that is causing this or has anyone else noticed this? I have an older Folger Tech printer and the print times are roughly half of the CR10S.  For a simple test I created a Custom FFF printer  to match the size of my CR10S,  and after slicing the same model print agrees with the Folger Tech. I also tried the Ender 3 and it matches the times of the CR10.  I've reviewed the settings several times, mostly minor differences, tweaked a few back and forth, etc., just cannot figure out what causing this.  I've attached a file for ref. the Folger time is 2hrs. 9min. and Creality printers 3hrs. 6min. Not sure if this is related to the upgrade as I don't print that many parts/use the printer that much. Hope someone can explain this as it's driving me batty. -- thanks

Output Bevel Gear 42T.stl

I am not 100% sure but there were some postings in the past about Creality and Cura 4.3. If I can remember correctly there are some strange travel or acceleration speeds defined in the printer profile and this could result in such long print times.

The behavior was that after each layer the printer stops for a moment. So it is related to the Z speed.

Search the postings here, I think someone posted a workaround.

You are right.

@RSW, install the plugin Printer Settings and compare the max speed and acceleration values with the values in your firmware. You want to set the printer values to the same values as in your firmware.

I had Version 3.5.1 installed on my laptop and for a quick comparison sliced the same model with the same settings at 1 hr. 40 min. I was just using the Draft .2mm for all my slicing comparisons. Quality wise I'm not sure there is much difference in the print outcomes. I assume the developers are aware of the increased print times, not so much the community.

@Duck, I will look into the firmware vs. printer settings when I get some extra time. So in short, the settings are hidden for the everyday user and I would have to dig through the firmware then go into the "Advanced" settings in Cura and match those. After that the print times would return to something more reasonable?

Yes. Check your values for Maximum Speed Z, Y, Z and Maximum Acceleration X, Y, Z. It is a good idea to save the machine values in a own profile name. Maybe also a good starting point to build your own printer profiles...

1_Cura4.2.0ChangesPrintersettings.thumb.PNG.aaebf413e1788e9035e59ebd9c878fbe.PNG

This was an example what can happen after an update with your settings. The left one are correct settings and the right one was there after the update to 4.2.1. And that is why all not from Ultimaker directly supported printer profiles can have huge discrepancies between calculated and real print time. 2997924580 mm/s is quite fast for any kind of  printer 😂 . You will see what happen when Cura calculate with speeds and accelerations your printer is able to archive. Since I change and control these values after each update, my differences are counted in minutes and not in hours and mostly a little bit faster than slower. So, yes for me it works good enough.

I installed the plug in and my settings matched you screenshot for the most part so I assume these are the most common values for the Creality printers. Oddly when loaded the Folger Tech printer the values were similar to the bogus ones. I updated those to match the creality ones and the print time went from 2 hrs 9 min to 2 hrs 46 min.

After enabling the plug in the CR10S actually is reporting a longer print time from 3 hrs 6 min to 3 hrs 36 min.

I ran the gcode through an online viewer, it has it 3hrs 46min.

I suppose the times are correct and the short Folger time was bogus due to garbled values.

Here is a link to the online viewer it anyone is interested.

http://gcode.ws/

In the end the only important information is how good match a calculated time  to the print time your real wold printer(s) need. Most of the relevant differences are resulting in my case from form these max values. All other differences are coming form things like using slower/faster  speeds/accelerations within optimized profiles but these are for my printers more or less from minor relevance and I do not have any issues with small differences about a quarter or a half hour at all.

I'm logging relevant data for all prints so that I know about material-, time-, energy consumption, spare part costs  as well as their estimated values. Very handy. 🙂