Cura4.4 will not start on windows 7 or windows 8 after download

esteel0123

Posted · Cura4.4 will not start on windows 7 or windows 8 after download

So i tried to download cura 4.0 4.1,4.3, 4.4 today on my windows 7 laptop and my windows 8 desktop. After downloading completed I cannot get the program to open on my windows 7, everytime I click on the program nothing happens. 

as for windows 8 I get an exe. error msg. and the software wont open . Im baffled as to why this is happening considering i haven"t had problems in the past with earlier versions of cura.

Need help? 

We have an existing issue that we are still looking at - related to this. 

in the meantime, can you try launching it via this “C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.4”. Right click Cura.exe and select ‘properties’. Click the ‘compatibility’ tab and select “Run This Program in Compatibility Mode”.

May I know what graphics card do you use? 

And what version of driver does it have? 

• Like 1

Hello thank you for getting back to me. Windows 8 desktop (Intel R HD Graphics)  driver version 9.17.10.2857

For my windows 7 laptop(AMD880G W/ATI Mobility Radeon HD4250) driver version 8.712.1.0

I have tried to run both computers in compatibility mode with no success. I had been running 4.0 previously with no issues but then i went to upgrade to version 4.3 and my troubles began. I cant revert back to 4.0 or 3.2.1 because when I do neither will work . I placed a screen shot of the error msg I am getting on my win8desktop. I do not get this error msg on win7. with win7 it just wont run the program. 

Screenshot (31).png

On 11/22/2019 at 12:21 AM, esteel0123 said:

Hello can’t I please get a reply when you have time on what I’ve sent you? Thanks Eric

Oh no! I didn't see this message! Sorry about that. 

Can you navigate to this location? C:\Users\[your_user]\AppData\Roaming\cura and zip everything up? Can you send them to me via PM? This folder contains all of your configuration including your logs. It can help me try and reproduce what you're seeing. 

As workaround for now, let's try to restore your 4.0 because that was the last version that worked for you. Did this work for both Windows 7 and 8? 

1. Do you still have a 4.0 folder in that path C:\Users\[your_user]\AppData\Roaming\cura? If you do, can you back that up for now.

2. Install Cura 4.0 again if you have not yet re-installed it

3. Check that you do not have Cura.exe running in your task manager (In case they are present, how many are running in the background?) and kill them all. 

5. Start 4.0 

6. If that did not work, can you remove the whole Cura folder in C:\Users\[your_user]\AppData\Roaming\. This will clear your Cura config and start you from clean install. 

7. Start 4.0 again. 

Posted (edited) · Cura4.4 will not start on windows 7 or windows 8 after download

Hello, I hope these are the files you are requesting to see. I am not very computer savvy. Cura version 15.04.2

is the only one I can get to work for now . I did check task manager and there are no cura .exe running in the background. 

thanks I look forward to hearing from you. 

cura files.zip

4.1 (2).zip cura.log

Edited by esteel0123
    send more files

Hello @esteel0123,

Thanks for the configuration files. I could, however, not reproduce the issue you're having on my Windows 10 machine (we're also setting up Win7 and Win8 machines to check the issue more thorougly). In the meantime, it would be great if you could fill in the below template, so that you help us narrow down the possibilities of the bug's initial cause:

Identification of the issue:

1. Question: Does the Cura splash screen appear? Is this behavior consistent? Please send us a screenshot of the splash screen - if applicable.
      Answer:

2. Question: Does the Cura.exe process appear in the "Background Processes" list in the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)?
      Answer:

3. If the answer to question #2 above is 'Yes', please create a dump file from Task Manager. To do so:
      1. Locate the Cura.exe process in the "Background Processes" list;
      2. Right click on the process;
      3. Select "Create dump file";
      4. Once the dumping process has been completed, a window will appear that will display the path where the dump file has been saved to. Since it will be quite large, please compress it and send it to us. This will assist us in determining during which call the application actually halts.

4. Question: Does Cura start when using CuraCLI.exe, which is also in the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.X)?
      Answer:

5. Question: Is the stderr.log file blank or does it contain some logs already? This logfile is located in %appdata%\cura (you can paste this path on Windows Explorer). In case the logfile is not blank please send it to us.
      Answer:

6. Question: Does Cura start when running in Compatibility mode (i.e., right click on the Cura.exe file → Properties → Compatibility tab → Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" checkbox → Select Windows 8 from the dropdown list)?
      Answer

Thank you for your time.

Hello, I am hoping the screenshot below is the splash screen u are requesting. 

?2\3 yes it shows up however it does not say cura .exe , it says slicing engine for cura . there are 2 screenshots of my task manager 

?4 No it does not work. screenshot below

?5 yes the stderr folder contains logs see att. zip files

?6 No it does not run in compatibility mode Ive tried several attemps with no luck , it does not offer windows 8 as a selection , I put a screenshot below as to what properties and compatibility mode offers me . I have also tried to run the program with administrator and have had no luck. 

I hope this helps , I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help figure this out. 

Screenshot (36).png

Screenshot (35).png

Screenshot (37).png

Screenshot (39).png

Screenshot (41).png

CrashDumps.zip stderr.zip

Thanks a lot for the detailed response @esteel0123

From the Task Manager images I see that every screenshot is from Windows 8. Is that correct? And also the Crash dumps all seem to be from the same OS version (v6.2.9200, a.k.a. Windows 8), would it be possible to collect some (2 or 3 is enough) from Windows 7 as well? I am almost certain that it will be failing at the same spot and for the same reason as your Windows 8 machine, but for some weird reason you get the splash screen on the latter.

Moreover, the fact that Cura is in the "Apps" list in Task Manager means that it has actually launched, but something is causing it to crash. So far, it seems that this something is the Intel Graphics Drivers (we have this issue ourselves on Windows 10 PCs), but we are investigating it more. We will analyze the logs and get back to you, but if you could, in the meantime, send us 2-3 crash dumps from Windows 7, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Cura4.4 will not start on windows 7 or windows 8 after download

After investigating a bit, it seems that the application stops due to an Unhandled Exception caused by ig7icd64.dll, which is a library linked to the OpenGL Drivers of the Intel Graphics card.

Searched a bit online and at the intel website it is mentioned that "That is your video driver spitting up. Updating to the latest driver is generally a good thing."

Thus, I would suggest you try that first. If it does not work or if you're already using the latest drivers out there, then what might work is to uninstall the Intel HD Graphics adapter, together with the driver software from the Windows Device Manager. This is a comprehensive article that shows you how to do this (it's for Windows 10, but Windows 8 has the same interface:
    https://windowsreport.com/opengl-problems-windows-10/

Usually, upon restart the OS will automatically find the drivers needed, although they might not be the latest version. But, at least you can try to start Cura in that case and hopefully it will start normally.

Once you send us your Windows 7 dumps we will check if you're having the same issue there (although I now doubt it).

Thanks.

Edited by Vagos
    • Like 1

Success !! ok windows 8 is now working with cura. I removed and reinstalled the graphics card and drivers . That did it . :)

as far as windows 7 I will try later today and see what I come up with and also send you those dump files. 

Thank you very much for the support. 

• Like 1

❤️ @Vagos you saved the day. 😉 Get some brownies right now! 

Great news @esteel0123! Happy to help! 🙂

I am having a similar problem today. I downloaded Cura 4.5 on my laptop with Windows 7 64 Bit but Cura wont even open up.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thank you

Hello @Twelve_Gravity,

Sorry for the super late response!! I accidentally opened this link so that I share one of my responses to a colleague and noticed you had added a comment! I didn't receive a notification for some reason...

So, with regards to your problem: Have you tried one of the later Cura versions to see  if your issue is fixed?

And if not, have you tried uninstalling the graphics adapter as I mentioned in one of my earlier comments?

Thanks.

So i have downloaded a few of the older versions but i am still getting this error code. i am not sure if there is a specific version i should be using and just so you know i am using a older laptop that was specific for gaming but is currently running windows 8 when the original system was either vista or xp a long time ago. 

Capture.PNG