Encasing parts in 3D Prints

Oliveros

Posted (edited) · Encasing parts in 3D Prints

Well, I had an idea the other day as I was faced with a missing magnet for a safety reed switch on a piece of equipment and came up with the idea that I could probably 3D print one, pause the print, set the magnet inside the part and let it finish the print and encase the part inside.

I did and it worked and I then found it was a common thing you could do and I hadn't just made a great discovery. Lol

Here's the result

DSC01560.thumb.JPG.b0e84b51b8aa84bee448c4a177bc0172.JPG

Top view where you can see the magnet inside.

DSC01561.thumb.JPG.2e1d2a5d751984d08bf1f1ce336181fc.JPG

The next day I then had the idea that maybe I could encase a reed switch in a 3D print and make a part myself instead of paying $150.00 a piece.

Sure could, here's the results.

Reed switch is placed very close to the front, you can't see it though, it's about 3 or 4 layers in to keep it from getting wet.

DSC01566.thumb.JPG.6160223eca327b6766341ecdd9efec32.JPG

Back side where the wires come out, I ended up making a template of the wiring channels I made in the piece so I could prefab the wiring before the print was ready so it wouldn't be stopped for too long.

DSC01567.thumb.JPG.2e9e86375cf1475a8d877d83ace05828.JPG

Lastly, a top view

DSC01568.thumb.JPG.8f175d4b7af874202a920f47670b3621.JPG

I figured I epoxy the opening where the wires come through and that should pretty make it ready to install.

Turns out Cura actually has a "Pause print at height" feature, either at a MM level or layer height, who would've thought?

Edited by Oliveros
  • Like 1

Posted · Encasing parts in 3D Prints

Thank's, Not even looked there before.

Posted · Encasing parts in 3D Prints

Me neither, I just googled it and found out about it after I manually did it.