Support structure not printing

roldy

Posted (edited) · Support structure not printing

I'm having an issue where the support structure does not print under an overhang but does print under an overhang further up the z direction. I've included some images to help show what I'm trying to explain. The model .jpg shows the areas I'm referring to. The shape and thickness of the overhangs circled in red are the same. No support structure is printed underneath the bottom overhang except, for some reason, the portion of the bottom overhang that has the hole shown in 106, 109, 110. After layer 109, Cura goes right into generating the overhang at layer 110. As you move up the z direction the support structure is printed entirely for the top overhang as shown in the sequence images 275 and 277 which result in the first layer of the overhang 279. The top overhang is fully supported. How can there be no fully generated support structure for the bottom overhang but there is for the top? I've also included the .3mf file for debugging. 

109.JPG

110.JPG

275.JPG

277.JPG

279.JPG

model.JPG

106.JPG

UM3E_9.3mf

Edited by roldy

Posted (edited) · Support structure not printing

Hej Roldy

It's because the model is not optimised for 3D printing. There's a lot of fine details in the .stl that are not printed. eg. the walls under the hatch is to thin for Cura to print them. and this messes up the support.

if you set the nozzle to 0.3 they will print and you will get the support.

please note that theres still a lot of the other walls that ar not printed because they are to thin.

I am not sure if theres a setting in Cura that will let you print everything thing whit a minimum 1 wall thickness.

Edit:

Sorry I didn't notice that you have the thin walls printing. are you upscaling the model?

Can you try and save as a Cura project instead of the .3mf so I can see the settings.

Edited by NBull