4.4 no longer allows profile drop down

Link

Posted · 4.4 no longer allows profile drop down

I guess you have no suiteable profile for your nozzle - material combination.

Do you use custom material profile? If so, what have entered in the "material type" section for this material?

no, it has somehow got confused and cuased them all the be greyed out, i cannot even see any of the default profiles, all the UM defaults have gone too for any nozzle size ! 😞

there seems to be that something has broken with the material associations in this version, my cpe profiles are based on the default CPE profiles, but now the association is broken, this happened with the move to 4.3, very annoying as to get the association back i have to delete my profiles and reduplicate from default CPE and start again.

PLA associations are ok, CPE are broken..., i can still see my custom profiles are there are now zero default profiles for CPE with me materials.... not great

Hmm, must be something with your custom profiles, I just checked it with CPE material:

image.thumb.png.e65d8d60eae9c68b3fd191e05ec97d22.png

No, you are still using a material profile from ultimaker (black CPE in the screen shot), I get the problem when I use my own material profile for a different PETG. Its fine when I use the UM CPE just like you have. 

Works also with custom material profile for me:

image.thumb.png.aaa4cb28cd89ccc339374fd4d6c24d9a.png

image.thumb.png.4185d435f1a61c218c92d807d5869ca6.png

But I duplicated the UM CPE and then changed the settings. I guess if you duplicate the UM material, then the internal GUID is still the same, and associated profiles are still shown.

Thanks for checking but the issue occurs when you create a new material profile in 4.3, then upgrade to 4.4 and somethings get broken. 

Bit of a nightmare as it's happened before when upgrading. 

I just use project files. They have never given me any issues and I have a series of settings that can be associated with the type of objects printed.

5 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

I just use project files. They have never given me any issues and I have a series of settings that can be associated with the type of objects printed.

Me too, I usually have no profiles (just one) and also use project files, because profiles are often problemtic and not working after an upgrade. But I heard, that it should be much better with the current versions of Cura.

• Like 1

How do you use project files over material profiles ?, can you explain?

I have various slicing profiles and material profiles, how do project files replace the combination of slicing with for example PETG and two different quality settings ?

It is not so comfortable as when working with profiles, but it is safer in my opinion.

I have no custom material profiles, I use only the generic profiles for all (or most) materials and adjust just the temperature if it is needed. My other settings, quality, whatever, are saved with the material temperate in the project file.

When I want to print another object, but with the same settings and material, I just load the previous project, remove the object, load the new one and print.

1 hour ago, Link said:

How do you use project files over material profiles ?, can you explain?

I have various slicing profiles and material profiles, how do project files replace the combination of slicing with for example PETG and two different quality settings ?

I am not sure I understand the question, but I will take a stab at it.

The project file will save every aspect of the material all the way through the individual settings.

This is an example of how I name my files for ease of recognition.

UMS5_Hulk_PLA_PVA-04mmNoz_006Lay.3mf

This is the printer it is formatted for, then the name of the print, then the materials by nozzle and, in order of extruder, size of nozzle in use and finally the layer thickness.

I also save the project files in folders that are labeled by material.

Does this help?

Ah ok, that makes sense. In reality I guess I could easily use the default material profiles and tweak like you do, however i would prefer to keep being able to use different print profiles as then its easier to switch between them. Unfortunately as you have found UM development have a bad habit of messing this part up and quite often upgrading the Cura version spams custom profiles and sometimes, most annoyingly, it just messes up a few settings rather than them all !!!!!, so its really hard to detect until you see something odd in the print !!!

15 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It is not so comfortable as when working with profiles, but it is safer in my opinion.

I have no custom material profiles, I use only the generic profiles for all (or most) materials and adjust just the temperature if it is needed. My other settings, quality, whatever, are saved with the material temperate in the project file.

When I want to print another object, but with the same settings and material, I just load the previous project, remove the object, load the new one and print.

Thanks, yes that's the part I was missing (remove the model and reload a new one)

I guess it hardly depends on your needs and workflow. I am with you, that profiles, when they are working as expected, are easier and more straight forward, but project files are a good work around for the problems after Cura updates. Not always, I heard about problems with the 4.4. update and loading older project files, but personally I have no problem at all with it.

I never had the need to create custom material profiles. I print 90% of my materials with the default generic settings and I am fine. If needed I adjust the temperature and that's it. In previous versions (firmware & Cura) it was not so easy to create a working custom profile that is accepted by the printer, so I gave up to create them. But in the meantime it is working fine and custom materials are also synced to the printer. (S3/S5, UM3? - not sure) But I still don't need them and keep it as simple as possible.

Regarding quality profiles, I usually have only one profile and adjust only the layer height if needed. I gave up using a "draft" profile to print faster, because I mostly print technical parts and need dimensional accuracy, so a draft which doesn't fit is not a useful draft for me.

The good thing about Cura is that there are many ways to reach your goal and you are not forced into a certain workflow.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I guess it hardly depends on your needs and workflow. I am with you, that profiles, when they are working as expected, are easier and more straight forward, but project files are a good work around for the problems after Cura updates. Not always, I heard about problems with the 4.4. update and loading older project files, but personally I have no problem at all with it.

I never had the need to create custom material profiles. I print 90% of my materials with the default generic settings and I am fine. If needed I adjust the temperature and that's it. In previous versions (firmware & Cura) it was not so easy to create a working custom profile that is accepted by the printer, so I gave up to create them. But in the meantime it is working fine and custom materials are also synced to the printer. (S3/S5, UM3? - not sure) But I still don't need them and keep it as simple as possible.

Regarding quality profiles, I usually have only one profile and adjust only the layer height if needed. I gave up using a "draft" profile to print faster, because I mostly print technical parts and need dimensional accuracy, so a draft which doesn't fit is not a useful draft for me.

The good thing about Cura is that there are many ways to reach your goal and you are not forced into a certain workflow.

Thanks, appreciate your advice

there is def something corrupt after the move to 4.4, i cannot delete some of my custom material profiles, the 'remove' option is greyed out !, (these are not the active profile as i know that will be greyed out)

anyway to remove old material profiles other than through the UI ?