Is there a way to auto-scale everything by 1.6%

SeattleDavid

Posted · Is there a way to auto-scale everything by 1.6%

The actual printed models are coming out about 1.5% too small. If I use the Cura Scale feature in the UI set too 101.5% the model is the correct size.

Since this seems to be some oddity with my Monoprice Delta Mini printer, I would like to permanently scale everything for this printer. Basically, to have in the printer profile a "Scale" setting so that everything printed is the correct size.

Is there some setting to do this? Either a Cura setting or perhaps a G-Code that will auto-scale everything by the needed 1.6%?

There is no setting that does that. You could try to make a plugin that does that though. The auto orientation plugin that I made does something like that; it has the option to calculate the orientation for every model that is loaded. If you're interested, you can have a look at the code on https://github.com/nallath/CuraOrientationPlugin

Posted (edited) · Is there a way to auto-scale everything by 1.6%

I'm crunching on a project and can't fight a learning curve.

Would you have any interest in developing such a plug-in for general use by everybody? I would be willing to contribute something for it.

I would imagine others have this problem, too. It seems to be the case for all Monoprice Delta Mini printers, at least. They seem consistently off by 1.6%.

Edited by SeattleDavid

surly if everything is getting printed too small, wouldn't this be a problem with the x y z calibration of the printer towers rather than the slicer used. (might be talking rubbish here, but just an idea).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, obewan said:

surly if everything is getting printed too small, wouldn't this be a problem with the x y z calibration of the printer towers rather than the slicer used. (might be talking rubbish here, but just an idea).

If everything (including the z) is off by that, regardless of the material used, it's the firmware that is wrong. You can fix this by changing the steps per mm.

You are entirely correct. The printer appears to be mis-calibrated.

According to Monoprice, there is no way to recalibrate it.

Hence, I am looking for a systematic, reliable solution in Cura...one that would not be forgotten about.

Equally, some people might find that they have a preferred rotation of the article that is desired. I like designing it facing me, but Monoprice places the front of the article 60 degrees turned facing the back.

Question: What are "normals"? I haven't heard about those. Or, if it is complicated can you point two something that describes them?

36 minutes ago, SeattleDavid said:

According to Monoprice, there is no way to recalibrate it.

The cheap printers are not known for their customer service, but this is pushing it. You can definitely do this.

A quick google query already showed me how: https://www.mpselectmini.com/howto/steps_per_unit_mm

That link is for a completely different printer. I am using the Monoprice Delta Mini.

This looks like the "void your warranty" procedure to correct the problem, here:

MP Delta Mini Size Recalibration to correct 1.6% undersize prints with default settings

Edited by SeattleDavid

nm

Edited by obewan

1 hour ago, SeattleDavid said:

That link is for a completely different printer. I am using the Monoprice Delta Mini.

This looks like the "void your warranty" procedure to correct the problem, here:

MP Delta Mini Size Recalibration to correct 1.6% undersize prints with default settings

It's sending some g-code to the printer, so I doubt that would void your warranty (I don't think that would even be legal in a lot of countries)

On 11/26/2019 at 6:07 AM, obewan said:

No. Calibration does not correct for material shrinkage, scaling does. 

It would make a lot of sense to add shrinkage factor to the material profile and have Cura automatically scale the objects according to material used. But so far it did not occur to programmers so you need to manually scale all objects by the shrinkage factor, which is could be different from one filament spool to next, even if they are of the same type.