Top layers line Falling in Infill

Khalid

Posted · Top layers line Falling in Infill

Hi Kahlid,

Welcome in the community.

What you describe doesn't exist i think. But if you have enough top layers and that the infill density is enough it should not be a problem.

Usually 6 top layers is enough to cover and have a nice finish. The infill density depends on the model. One interesting feature that can help is setting up gradual infill, for example set the density to 20% (which should be enough in most cases) and gradual steps to 1 or 2. When the top layers are going to be printed, the infill is "densified" to 20% as for the rest of the object the density is divided by the number of steps.

Dear  Mr. Klien,

Thanks for answering... Actually you are right to increase the layer density and the layer direction changes... But providing this feature in the Cura will save more material and money i think.

As the bridging option has already been added in newer updates of cura...I hope the cura team will look into the above posted sketch and make some custom boundaries on existing infill as shown .. This will be a wonderful addition...

My question ... is the solution in above picture possible... or what the cura programmers look on this... !!!

I don't think there is a need for such a feature. You still need some layers for the top to get a nice surface, so it doesn't matter if the first layer above the infill is nice and clean or not.

Posted (edited) · Top layers line Falling in Infill
    15 hours ago, Smithy said:

I don't think there is a need for such a feature. You still need some layers for the top to get a nice surface, so it doesn't matter if the first layer above the infill is nice and clean or not.

I normally print in ABS that curl up in such cases and the nozzle then hit that curling damaging the whole layer and subsequent print. 

Also some time some of the features are printed in air in the gaps of infill.. Overall this feature will not only improve the performance but will save time, filament usage and offcourse money.

Edited by Khalid

Posted (edited) · Top layers line Falling in Infill

Dense infill under solid layer

Someone is working on PrusaSlicer:

if the infill% is under 40%, it search a supported area under each solid surface, with only straight lines between perimeters. When it find one, it use a special infill process that lay a perimeter (with overlap, so it's ~supported by the current internal perimeter and then a 42% rectilinear infill inside it. This will prevent any curling that may ruin your top surface, and ensure everything can be supported even with an infill ratio of 0%

note: beta feature, not yet in the release package. It will replace the manual dense infill.

left right
    feature activated without

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f464843433231672e6a7067.jpg

This interface can have lower infill density (50 - 90 %) so the bridges can interleave and the same infill type can be used (most of types cannot reach 100 %).

56470057-1554aa00-6442-11e9-9a21-18f3449fd323.png

56469132-dc163d00-6435-11e9-8153-8e4df8481cc2.png

56469291-344e3e80-6438-11e9-9cdd-e9bd4be87814.png

Edited by Khalid