Cura 4.4.0 stuck at starting

smaxxx

Posted · Cura 4.4.0 stuck at starting

Hello,

i am trying to use Cura on my laptop, which is Windows 10 64bit. However, after installing Cura and then starting it (check the "start Cura after installation" thing) it is stuck at loading plugins / initializing package manager. When clicking on it, it crashes and says Cura.exe doesn't respond.

What I already tried:

Run Cura.exe as Administrator (nothing happens, just a process running in the background with no window whatsoever, need to close it with task manager)

Run Cura setup as Administrator (still stuck at loading plugins then)

Disable Windows Firewall (nothing changed)

my laptop specs:

Windows 10 64bit

Intel Core i3-8145U 2.5GHz

8 GB RAM

Is there anything I can try so it sucessfully starts?

cura.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into the same problem.  This did the trick, for me:

1. Make sure there is no cura.exe process running, by looking in Task Manager (or just rebooting to be sure).
    2. Go into .../AppData/Roaming/cura/4.4 (or whatever version you are running)
    3. Delete cura.lock, if it is there.  If it is not there, and Cura is not running, then this isn't the problem for you.

There is no risk, at all, in deleting that file.  It gets created at runtime and is really only valid while Cura is running.  If it doesn't get deleted when Cura exits, it will cause the package manager to hang.

Hope this helps.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with Cura 4.4 on my Windows Surface Pro 6 (Windows 10 64bit).  I find myself having to start Cura 4.4, terminate the process, then restart (sometimes two or three times) before it starts.  Once started it runs without issue.  Doesn't seem to make any difference running as Admin either.  Not sure if anyone has found a workaround/fix yet?

On 1/17/2020 at 1:32 PM, AdamOfEternia said:

I'm having the same problem with Cura 4.4 on my Windows Surface Pro 6 (Windows 10 64bit).  I find myself having to start Cura 4.4, terminate the process, then restart (sometimes two or three times) before it starts.  Once started it runs without issue.  Doesn't seem to make any difference running as Admin either.  Not sure if anyone has found a workaround/fix yet?

I'm getting this with 4.4.1 too, takes a couple of rounds of run-kill before it will start properly

On 12/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, thebrent said:

1. Make sure there is no cura.exe process running, by looking in Task Manager (or just rebooting to be sure).
    3. Delete cura.lock, if it is there.  If it is not there, and Cura is not running, then this isn't the problem for you.

There is no risk, at all, in deleting that file.  It gets created at runtime and is really only valid while Cura is running.  If it doesn't get deleted when Cura exits, it will cause the package manager to hang.

Hope this helps.

thank you!!! that solved the problem

Thank you for this! I had the same issue with 4.8.0 after a Windows crash.  I followed the above instructions, removed the .lock file, and Cura then started ok.

I can find no cura.lock file anywhere on my computer.

I had tried loading a couple of files to print together and it locked.  I closed it out with the task manager and now it refuses to restart properly.

Any idea what's going on? 

I'm on windows 10, 64bit, & cura 4.7.1

On 12/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, thebrent said:

Hope this helps.

Worked for me too! Cura 4.8.0 !

Thank's man! Quick and simple!

On 12/23/2019 at 4:30 PM, thebrent said:

Hope this helps.

Thank you this worked for me. I think what caused this issue was a unrelated crash that blue screened my computer the last time I had cura open. I deleted the .lock file and it worked again.