Multi layer brim ?

jens3

Posted · Multi layer brim ?

Is there any way to make a brim two layers tall rather than just a single layer ?

I find that when a model really wants to curl up, the brim separates right at the base of the model. A second layer of brim material would strengthen that junction.

I have been designing my own brim in the model design phase but it would be nice if I could just make a brim two (or even three) layers tall

• Like 1

Custom made support will probably always be the best solution. I agree that the two layer brim could probably be and good alternativ. But as it is now not possible in Cura. 

When I have a print that has a critical spot eg. a sharp point or the edge of a square. I have a circular template I put on the model to strength that spot whiteout doing custom support for the whole thing. I know it's not and option for a big complex model but for three or four critical points it works fine. don't know if this cued help you. 

56047103_ScreenShot2019-12-11at15_19_26.thumb.jpg.4cfc6ae880ab24d0f0dd8c8bdc98c417.jpg43995258_ScreenShot2019-12-11at15_22_32.thumb.png.57ffc7c9c85889803010b31d63e52263.png

I call that a 'mickey mouse ear' and yes, I end up designing this into the model at the CAD level.

What do you mean by 'circular template'?

Your choice of the word 'template' seems to open up the possibility of some sort of fixed thing that you can just drop over the model rather than designing the circle into the CAD model ?

I mean template. It is a stl file that only contains a ø1 cm circle 1mm high. I load it togeter whit the "model" and then just drag/drop it on to the spot I wanna enhance, then use Cura's scaling to alter the size so it fits my purpose better.

So the photo above is two files, the star shaped model and the round template plased on one of the corners so it overlap the model. 

Hmmm, interesting .... I will have to try that ot to see how that works. Thanks !

Well hot-damn ... I like it.... thank you very much for posting the idea about the template. It works a treat !

The only down side of doing it this way is that if I revise the model I have to place the corner templates on every revision. Hopefully that will become very easy with practice.

I used the custom supports and just eyeballed a wide cylinder at each corner