Cura 4.4.1 profiles not behaving like 3.6

dmorris68

Posted · Cura 4.4.1 profiles not behaving like 3.6

So I finally upgraded from 3.6 to 4.4.1 yesterday. I let the installer uninstall 3.6 but preserve my configurations. 4.4.1 installed and recognized my 3.6 settings and custom materials, which were imported fine. So I was happy... until I went to print with a custom material and noticed that all the default profiles I had in 3.6 (Normal, Fine, Course, etc.) were gone. I checked the generic materials and they had default profiles (although renamed and reconfigured as Super, Dynamic, Standard, and Low Quality). 

So I figured I'd recreated my custom materials by duplicating a generic and modifying it, assuming it would bring over the default quality profiles. Nope, as soon as I customize a material and select it, my profiles list is empty. I created a custom quality profile from duplicating a default PLA profile and I can now see a Custom Profiles section, but still no Default Profiles are shown. So do I now have to create custom profiles for each custom material? That kinda sucks.

Am I missing something, is there a bug, or is this the intended behavior?

I did save a copy of my user profile Configuration folder for 3.6 (although the original is still intact) and the configurations stored to the installation folder are still there as well, so if I have to recover data I should have it.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Cura 4.4.1 profiles not behaving like 3.6

Ever since I updated to 4.4.1 the profiles started acting up. This is the second time I had to remove and reload cura so I could get the profiles restored, the new profiles they advertise with this version.  There is no doubt a software bug. 

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.4.1 profiles not behaving like 3.6

I was able to get mine working as expected by following nyxaria's steps at the end of this thread, which I also documented my own progress. It was a bit of a pain -- not so much the steps themselves, just that they didn't work until I had restarted Cura "enough" times it seems. And it shouldn't be necessary. But at least I got it to the point of being able to select from multiple profiles in the dropdown rather than having to activate them from the Settings dialog.

EDIT: LMAO. Scratch that. I just opened up Cura today and now my profile selections that were working yesterday in Cura are no longer there. This is definitely a bug of some kind. I've touched nothing with my settings or profile since I got this working, and now it's no longer working.

Edited by dmorris68
    Correction