joestefano

Adjusting feeder with material change S5

Posted · Adjusting feeder with material change S5

Is it normal that I have to play with the adjustment of the feeder every time I change a spool of the same filament? Once again today I was replacing a spool of pla that was printing fine with a spool of the same pla. When it went to load it extruded a bit and I confirmed and began a print and no filament came out. I checked the filament and it had been ground down. I had to lessen the tension to get the filament to extrude. My concern is that I have a material station coming and I’m not sure it will work if I have to play with the tension every time a new roll loads.

It's surely not normal. Was the nozzle clogged? Most of the time I had feeder problem it was caused by a partially or totally clogged nozzle...

I have the s5 with the material station and I keep my feeder tension at half way and print an aray of material.  I have had a small chunk of filament break off during material change and lodge in the feeder, I had to pull the cover off and remove it.  If your feeder is too tight, which I have done, that will cause problems as well.  I also had an issue with the material station where the filament wouldnt reach the nozzle and that turned out to be a bad bowden tube.  You may want to clean your nozzle as well, cleaning filament works great for that.

The material station is pretty slick I will say.