Cubify Design

Posted · Cubify Design

Have a look at cubify design...Alibre design with a new name on it.

Cubify Invent was too watered down to be of much use. But the new version has an assembly function and is fully parametric and history based. For us that is very important for tweaking of the design after the first test print.

I was completely baffled by the interface at first. But after a few tutorials I am making progress and I think its hard to beat for 150 Euros. The interface still annoys me at times but its getting less in the way....

The stl export works well and it can import files in many formats including Rhino.

There is a two week trial available.

Posted · Cubify Design

As Alibre design, that's what I use for engineering models, and it is good at what it does.

The only fault is it crashes a lot.

Here is a self balancing robot, designed with it.

balbot.jpg

Posted · Cubify Design

Is there a way to make gears like the ones in your drawing directly in Alibre? i have not found a way to do this yet. At the moment I use an external gear generator to create a dxf, and then I have to turn this into a 3d model. Takes a lot of time ....

Posted · Cubify Design

I have finally bought Cubify Design. The parametric idea has been taken to great length here and I have found this to be the most important necessity in a CAD program that is supposed to work with the UM.

Nothing is more frustrating than having to start a model all over when you can't change the diameter of some holes or the fit of a tube with another one.

The shrinkage of the 3d print makes it necessary to adjust some dimensions if the print is supposed to work in a technical context. On larger and more complicated things I start the print and stop it a few layers in. Then I peel off the part and measure it with calipers. I make changes and then go ahead again for the full model. .. Especially good for holes, tubes and the like.

Another advantage is that Cubify/Alibre imports a lot of other file formats like Rhino 3dm for freeform objects. The limitation to STL export does not bother me since its just what I need. I can always make another copy of the model in MeshLab and save it in a variety of formats later on.

The assembly function is also a great asset.

Posted · Cubify Design

i've tried cubify and i love it.. then i tried geomagic design (Alibre design) and i love it so much..

now i'm wondering if the simpler version of geomagic design has the ability to create multiparts and create 2d drawings..