USB Stick print fail.

ConradAyling

Posted · USB Stick print fail.

Hi All

I'm trying to get an Ultimaker3 to print from a USB stick, but I am having problems.

The printer asks for me to insert a USB Drive. But when I insert a drive I get the message Print and Return both highlighted.

All I can do is return to the home menu, and so cannot print. (See photos)

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

I'm using Cura OK, and my STL's work fine on other printers.

Thank you

Conrad

IMG_7379.JPG

IMG_7380.JPG

Probably down to how it's formatted (should be FAT32) or an insufficient read/write speed. Are you able to try a different stick? There's a 16gb verbatim stick included in the UM3 box which works great.

That exFAT is probably going to be the problem? I would suggest you buy a couple of thumbnail 8GB or 16GB sticks, and just leave them with the printer. I guess USB2 would be preferable over USB3? Theoretically it should make no difference, since USB3 is downward compatible, but you never know? And speed is obviously of no concern here. :-) They cost less than 10 euro/piece these days. A tiny little thumbnail stick doesn't stick out too far, so less risk of hitting and damaging it. Make sure they are FAT32.

I once tried reformatting a 64GB exFAT stick into FAT32 (for another purpose, not for 3D-printing), but that didn't work well. Had to reformat it back to exFAT.

You also have the option to connect the printer to Wi-Fi, LAN, or Ultimaker Cloud to send jobs via the network, then there's no need for USB sticks! (As long as your network admin allows this).