Set Top Layers to 0 only on the final layer

pgreenp

Posted · Set Top Layers to 0 only on the final layer

Hi all. I'd like to print an object with an open top, but not by modifying the geometry in other software (I have dozens of files set up ready for Cura). All I need to do is: on the final layer of the print only, change the top layers setting to 0 so it'll print with an open top. In Simplify3D, I could accomplish this with processes, which allows you to adjust different settings at different layers in your print. In Cura, the closest I've found are using Support blockers and setting the per model setting to "Modify settings for overlaps". Dragging the support blocker cube over the top of my model and setting Top Layers to 0 for the support blocker, it works in preventing the top layer of my model from printing. Unfortunately, the bottom of the support blocker also ADDS geometry to be printed inside of  my main model. see the attached picture.

I've tried adding other settings to the support blocker, like setting Top and Bottom Layers to 0, Initial Bottom Layers to 0, etc, with no luck. Seems no matter what I try, the bottom of the support blocker always adds a plane whenever I slice it. Am I approaching this incorrectly, or am I misunderstanding how the support blocker works? Again, all I'd like to do is print models with an open final top layer but have the "top layers" parameter set to a value other than 0 in every layer BUT the top layer.

If not using support blockers, is there a different way to approach this? Thanks in advance!!

curahelp.png

• 7 months later...
    • 1 year later...
    Posted · Set Top Layers to 0 only on the final layer

I am also missing (or not finding) this function in Cura. I need multiple Top Layers to make my more horizontal shell sections stronger, but i want my print to have an open top so i can glue it to the next part of this multi-part-print and fill it with epoxy later. With a closed top the epoxy wouldnt get to the next part and it would take more work to prepair (drill holes for example).

So if someone has a solution to this i would really like to hear from you 🙂

My solution for now was to make the lower part of the two half-pieces 1mm higher, slice it with my desired 5 top layers for a more stable shell and then remove the last 1mm by editing the GCODE-File (I removed 5 Layers with a Layer Height of 0.2mm - i call them waste-layers for now).

Just pay attention to the last Extrude-Command! I had to copy the first extrude value of the lowest waste-layer to the extruder value after the last waste-layer - this way the now unused material doesnt mess with your print when the last layer is finished. Maybe i add a screenshot to explain this better later. Maybe some printers use relative positioning for the extruder, then this step is not needed...