How to print big cubical object without infill

imch

Posted · How to print big cubical object without infill

Hello,

I am totally new user of 3d printing ,  i need to print few large size objects like 500mm x 300 mm. one is cubical box contains embossed design from base and top. i want to print in two parts,  only shell, hollow without infill . so can someone please guide me is that possible ? if yess. what layers and shell setting shall I use ? I don't need super detailed. ci am thinking to use 0.6 or 0.8 mm nozzle to save print time too. 

Set top thickness and infill density to 0. That will give you an open box with just bottom and walls.

Layer settings and wall thickness is something you need to find out based on your requirements and printer quality.

When I print concept models just for "show & tell" I ususally print with 0,3 layer height and 0,8 wall with 5-10 % infill.

Models for use, like tools and parts for testing usually 0,1 mm layer height and 3 mm wall. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your answer AndersK. I will set infill and top thickness to 0 density. I have few more questions regarding support. so I have attached pictures pf my models for that. my base surface of model is very uneven and have embossed pattern on it. Will it need support on bottom?. Also ropes shows a little red spots from lower side. if I put support it shows from bottom to robes. which cost a lot of filament and time. how can I reduce support to save filament and time ? does this another small plate object can be print without support too ?

1593667596_Screenshot2020-01-22at11_28_31.thumb.png.fe276678c38e27dbbe80be7714330699.png1548268905_Screenshot2020-01-22at11_27_55.thumb.png.39debf3dfea4a44339798a3dd2a59e1e.png33054581_Screenshot2020-01-22at11_42_50.thumb.png.bd3b2433547f40162dde71b22eee89a7.png1918557810_Screenshot2020-01-22at11_30_41.thumb.png.bec4d47e561900382c10e8b746c861fb.png

The red highlighted parts of the model mean that the area needs support material (as they exceed the minimum support overhang angle). So yes, it looks like the 'rope' sections and bottom section will require supports. Cura can place these automatically.

If you want to use support more efficiently, you can use features such as conical support or gradual support.

Hope this helps.

Posted (edited) · How to print big cubical object without infill

You might get away with no support under the ropes since it looks like a really small area.

Conical support is found under experimental and gradual under support section.

Hint, use the "search setting" 

Edit, might have misread your question. Both gradual and conical support is methods to reduce the amount of support material used, (and printing time at a small amount) by using less material at the bottom of the print and increasing it closer to he supported surfaces.

image.png.8ffac40ec32056e3af13df81c99b4811.png

Edited by AndersK

Hi, I got Creality CR 10s Pro two weeks ago. I tested last week my first test print it was a good result. Today I changed nozzle into 0.8mm . After changing nozzle I am getting zhome issues. Printer extruder/nozzles goes high like 2/3 inches. doesn't come to the bed level. when I try to reset with levelling mode, z+ z-home doesn't work an doesn't not move -z or +z. I tried manual home by turn off motor. but when it start print extruder goes up again and starts printing in air. please help me

I don't know those machines but if it started with a nozzle change I would change back to see if it changes goes back to normal.