Exposed Gyroid infill

4DMaster

Posted · Exposed Gyroid infill

Hi, Hello to all

I am following an older tutorial for printing 3D models that " expose Gyroid infill ". The print ends up with completely visible and open gyroid. The tutorial was done on an early and " especial artistic " version of Slic3r PE. Slicers, including CURA add a ... cap or special wall to outermost faces of Gyroid infill to help the adhesion of them to the walls of the prints for strength and unification of the infill and walls. Well, those .. caps or special walls ruin the look of Gyroid infill if we want to present them for artistic effects. As I mentioned the Slic3r community posted a special branch of their favourite slicer " as artistic version ". See it here:

( fast forward to 11:57   )

This feature never turn to be official within Slic3r, Slic3r PE ( now Prusa Slicer ) and believe you me, I had asked and begged over there to no avail.

But why I am asking this in Ultimaker-CURA !? Well, I was excited to see that CURA ( 4.4.1 Mac ) does this out of the box 

BUT, unfortunately the generated g-code is not what we see in the CURA's preview. The final 3D print has that ... cap or wall covering the outermost faces partially.

Here are my settings:

- Layer Height: 0.644 ( very large model on Delta printer )

- Wall Thickness : 0 ( zero )

- Bottom Layer: 1 ( to be able to lift it off the bed - didn't make any difference setting this to zero )

- Infill : 10% - Gyroid

Am I missing something? If the preview of CURA is displaying the " actual gcode ", then why there are these caps ( half walls ) on the faces of the final print that where not displayed? Is there any way to remove those Gyroid caps?

Please let me know if you need to see the actual image of gcode preview and  final print with capped Gyroids

• 5 months later...