settings not making it to the printer

moparren

Posted · settings not making it to the printer

I am attempting to print a wing for a model airplane.  The design is meant to be printed with zero infill.

Somewhere between saving the G-code to the card and the printer (Anet A8) infill gets added and instead of a nice light wing, I get a brick with infill.  I did some digging and found some chatter about a random bug in later versions of Cura where things didn't save properly, so I went down to version 3.2.1 and tried that.  Same result: set infill percent to 0, double, triple, quadruple check that infill is set to 0 percent, save to file, take card to printer, and print out a part with infill.

Am I missing something?  Is there a button somewhere that I need to click confirming no infill?

I'm also finding it frustrating that if I try to look at the settings of the file I just tried to print all I get is G-code cannot be modified.  It would be nice to at least be able to verify my settings.  I should also add that my computer is running windows 10.

Don't waste your time printing.  In cura you want to select "PREVIEW" near the top of cura.  After slicing use the slider on the right side and you can check each layer (you can check all the layers in under a second).

This will show you what cura plans to print.

I suspect the model has bad normals.  So I would check or uncheck all the "mesh fixes" options in cura and hopefully one of those will fix your issue.  Or maybe you are setting infill percentage on the wrong nozzle.  If you can't figure it out please supply screenshots showing the issue.

Never print anything without it looking correct in PREVIEW first.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the reply.  Attached is a shot of layer 1 and I'm struggling with the colors.  Is that just the yellow of the bottom and it is being affected by the other colors that it is looking through?  The part is meant to be open at both ends.  I have looked at this previously and this is what it has looked like each time yet it infills the bottom layer.

wing section1.JPG

That yellow is "top/bottom" as shown in the key.

You can disable top/bottom in cura settings.  Set it to 0.

What about if you slide up much higher on the layer slider?

Something is wrong - there shouldn't be so much green - so much wall.  It's as though you have the "shell" setting set to a huge number like 10mm or bigger.

If tinkergnome's suggestion doesn't work, please save your project and post it somewhere.  Do "file" "save".  This will save your printer settings, your profile, your STL file your setting overrides, where you positioned the STL file.  Everything.  Then I can (or someone else) can open this 3mf file and play around with the settings.

It's from Eclipson - https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/modelt

I just tried disabling union overlapping volumes and it had no effect on the model.  At the risk of being an askhole (a person that asks for advice and then doesn't follow it) I went ahead and started a print figuring if it wasn't working I would just abort it and so far it looks to be working!

My guess for the green that gr5 was seeing was Cura not being sure what to do with thin walls and the reason it was not showing up in the middle section is that the skin is thicker there to act as a box spar.

Thank you both for your expertise and thoughts!

20200130_161838[1].jpg

• Like 1