Change the Hostname of the S5

slnielsen

Posted · Change the Hostname of the S5

Hello

We recently bought a S5 and I would like to connect it to the company network.

For me to do that, I need to change the hostname of the printer, to a name fitting in our system.

We are a big company with very strict rules of out IT systems.

Is there any way to that?

Best regards

Søren

3 hours ago, slnielsen said:

Hello

We recently bought a S5 and I would like to connect it to the company network.

For me to do that, I need to change the hostname of the printer, to a name fitting in our system.

We are a big company with very strict rules of out IT systems.

Is there any way to that?

Best regards

Søren

In a browser go to "<printerIP>/printer", click the three dot context menu, and select 'rename printer'.

Alternatively you can SSH into the printer and do it that way, it runs on Debian. The printer must be in development mode to do this.

Needless to say, you do so at your own risk!

Thank you for the reply. I managed to change it with the rename printer method. The IT department was very helpfull and let me connect to the network although the hostname didn't look exactly like the wanted it to.

Good to hear you found a solution.

If there's a specific way you need to format hostnames but were limited somehow, please let us know. There's a chance we can integrate this kind of feedback into future firmware updates.

@slnielsen Me too would like to hear what problems your IT-department has with our restrictions on the allowed hostname format. We implemented it according the RFC952 standard, but there might be interpretation differences that I'd like to hear about.

We also recently got an S5 Pro Bundle and are also having issues with connecting our Ultimaker to our network.

I am also at a large company with an established network and security protocols. Due to this, our hostnames have a length limitation of 18 characters. We also need static IPs, but that seems to be configurable via connman.

Renaming the printer did not change the hostname, just the printer name.

I tried changing the hostname via the Developer mode (/etc/hostname and hosts, etc.) and seems to partially go through, but it causes errors, still appears as the old hostname on the touchscreen, then reverts back to the "ultimakersystem-<MAC>" format at power cycle.

Do you have any suggestions on how to permanently change the hostname?

Thanks

IT-departments never cease to surprise me...

With a correct DHCP configuration you don't need static ip-addresses. Your DHCP server can be configured to always assign the same ip-address based on a once configured MAC address.

Then, for the host name, DHCP has an option to change the hostname as well.

So, with a well equipped IT-department they could handle it all themselves instead of you having to do crazy things (and we as well).

Note that RFC-1035 says the length is limited to 63 characters. So why your IT-department comes with an 18-character limit is surprising.

As a side effect of renaming: Cura won't be able to detect the printer anymore automatically, you will have to enter the ip-address instead.

Changing the host name:

- Ensure printer is in developer mode

- type: vi /etc/rc.local

- in line 4 you see a line starting with 'hostnamectl .... '

Mark this line as a comment by inserting a '#' as the first character

- insert a new line 5: hostname my-fabulous-new-name

- Save the file

- reboot the printer with 'reboot' command

- Check by giving the 'hostname' command without parameters.

This change will have to be applied after every firmware update.

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Change the Hostname of the S5

After changing the hostname by editing `/etc/hostname` and then `/etc/rc.local`  so my change wasn't overwritten the printer would not fully initialize it's UI after rebooting.

I was still able to ssh and remove my changes.

Is there another way to change the hostname of my printer?

Edited by ianzur