filament change using cura 3.6

briansadwin

Posted · filament change using cura 3.6

Using cura 3.6 I can not figure out how to put a pause for filament color change. I go to modify gcode ,post processing, add a script. pick filament change . All I see is put in layer number which I can figure out. then there is initial retraction then  there is later retraction.  It does not work the print never stops. Some people say I am suppose to put in the command m600 but I don't know where to put it.  I am using cura 3.6 on a cr 10 s pro  .Thanks

Posted · filament change using cura 3.6

Did the people who told you "M600" know what kind of printer you have?  Different printer firmwares may need different commands.  I think maybe Ultimaker printers use "M25" to pause.  Here is a pretty damn good reference to gcodes.  Search for M25 which supposedly works on all Marlin variants (which is like 99% of printers in the world).  M600 is another pause meant specificially for filament change evidently.  I'm not sure that it's supported on Ultimakers but it certainly seems to be supported on Prusas.

https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

For "layer number" go into "PREVIEW" mode in cura and on the right side is a scroll thing - slide that up and down and it shows every layer number.  The plugin might be 0 based layers or 1 based layers and cura is 1 based.  So it might pause 1 layer earlier than you expect.  This plugin is supposed to pause at the *start* of the layer.

Or you can insert gcodes by hand.  Save the gcode file in cura.  Then open it in a text editor like notepad (warning, some of these gcode files are quite large and take a good 20 seconds to open).  Take a look at the gcode file - you can translate it with the link above.  Search for "LAYER" and it tells you the layer number.  You can insert any gcode you want wherever you want.  Each gcode needs to be on a line by itself.  Try adding a pause on the very first layer to see if it works as a test so you don't have to wait many minutes to know it will work.  Or you can search for "Z" which is very rare in gcode files and you sill see the height in millimeters and you can decide where you want the pause that way.

Or you can look at the "E" value which is how much filament is used so far in millimeters and insert a pause for example 2 meters into the print.  Note that "E" goes back to zero occasionally as some printers don't like if E gets too big.