Help with Settings

canozerdem

Posted · Help with Settings

Hi Guys

Im currently an architecture student and was thinking of 3D printing a model this week. I have attached a sketchup image of the model I will be 3d printing but was wondering if anyone would want to help me with the best quality settings for a Ultimaker 2+ 3d printer. This will be used for my final presentation thus I would want it to look as crisp as possible however I have never used the 3D printers before. 

3D printer.obj

I was thinking something along the lines of 

Profile 0.1

Infil 20%

Support: Enabled 

Adhesion: Disabled 

Quality Layer Height: 0.1mm

Shell Wall Thickness: 1.05mm

Wall Line Count: 3

Top Bottom Thickness: 0.8mm

Top Thickness: 0.8mm

Top Layers: 8

Bottom Thickness: 0.8mm

Bottom Layers: 8

Horizontal Expansion: 0mm

Material: Enable Retraction

Print Speed: 50mm/s

Support: Enabled 

Support Placement: Everywhere

Support Overhang Angle: 50

The best is: make a few test models that have all typical features of your models. And then print them with various settings, to see the difference. Make them small enough so they don't waste endless amounts of time and material, but not too small, so the models still gets enough cooling (=without the hot nozzle sitting constant on top of the same place).

Further: print slower and cooler than standard. This will give better corners. How slow and how cool depends on the model and material, and layer-thickness, so you have to try. For PLA, try something like 25...30mm/s and 200°C, and adjust from there. Unless this would go too slow and take too much time.

Try all layer thicknesses and see which works best for your models. But 0.3mm goes 5x faster than 0.06mm. So, printing at 25mm/s and 0.06mm layers is 10x slower than 50mm/s and 0.3mm layers. Hence the need for relatively small test models.

Personally, concerning colors, I would choose nice warm light-grey colors: stone, sand, rock, and similar natural colors, instead of white. White easily gets dirty. Or use the real colors the building will get, if available. (I never understood why architectural models are so often white?)

There are default profiles for the 2+ in Cura. If using PLA these have been tested to achieve good results.

Another tip: if you want to change settings in the profiles, you can also import export your profiles, this saves you having to type them out here 😉

Preferences > Materials > Import/Export

17 hours ago, canozerdem said:

help me with the best quality settings for a Ultimaker 2+ 3d printer

@canozerdem

Before you think about 3D printing: your model looks very weird, i guess it is not intended to look like this...?

In addition: it's not manifold and has very tiny details that will be not printable at all - at least not in this scale on an FDM printer.

For those architectural models it is usually a good idea to divide it in several (flat) pieces that are glued together after printing.

As said - the model is very small, in which size will it be printed? Don't waste your time with modeling of details that are smaller than the nozzle diameter...

There are some good sources about modeling for 3D printing (even with Sketchup 🙄). It's probably not what you want to hear...., but the most important first task is to prepare a usable model. You can start with this link (for example):

https://i.materialise.com/blog/en/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

grafik.thumb.png.709300d30e9e37febcad63f77dbf2c7f.png

• Like 1