cschneer

Ultimaker 2 lose belt

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 lose belt

Good morning!

I am new to this community. My school has just received an Ultimaker 2 by donation. I attempted to do a test print and noticed the front belt is fairly loose and it appears to have been handled improperly. As a result, teeth are slipping and printing is impossible.

Am I able to tension the belt or replace it, and do such instructions exist online?

Thank you,

Corey

Edited by cschneer

Posted · Ultimaker 2 lose belt

Belts are replaceble, and the procedure should be somewhere on the Ultimaker-site. If you are a bit handy, you can do it yourself. Your local dealer should be able to provide the belts. Or you can have him/her do it.

While you are at it, I would take the time to have a look at the feeder too: is that clean and in good condition?

Also clean the metal rods near the belts, and lubricate them with a thin oil that does not dry out.

And also clean the nozzle with cold pulls or "atomic pulls". See the official method on the Ultimaker-site, or use my gentle method here (I am no Ultimaker-staff, just a user):

https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/personeel/geert-keteleer/manuals/

And check if the white teflon coupler above the nozzle is still okay, not deformed, not burned.

Hi Corey,

if the belt is not worn out to much, it possibly could be tensioned very easily, as described in this video by @fbrc8-erin:

As the sliding blocks (which contain a build in tensioning spring) at the UM2, UM3 and S-Series are the same, this procedure might work for your UM2 as well.

It would be also a good idea to check the play on the axles and -if needed- calibrate the print head as described here:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/50679-check-for-play-on-axles

Regards

• Like 1

The procedure should definitely also work on your UM2. The sliding block set up is essentially the same on all the UM2/UM3/S series machines, just with different belt lengths.