compatibility mode all of a sudden?

Oliveros

Posted · compatibility mode all of a sudden?

Hey guys.

I'm running the latest Cura on a Mac with bootcamp windows and I've been using it for some months now, not connected to the internet or anything so I'm not sure how this changed all of a sudden, Cura all of a sudden went into compatibility mode, the box is not checked in the settings so I'm not sure why it's doing it, anyone know?

I've had no problems until now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, the computer is actually crashing now when I open Sketchup at random times it crashes and I get the blue screen.

It's a Mac running bootcamp with Windors 7, 64 bit.

Graphics is an Nvidia GEForce8800 GT and it's driver version is 341.05 which I'm going to update now to the 342.01 and see what happens.

Thank you for the assistance.

In my experience, *random* crashes usually indicate a hardware problem. Often memory modules that got defect, or contact pins that got dirty or oxidated.

If the driver update would not help, and if you can access the memory modules, try gently (!) wiggling them a couple of times. This has often worked well in my PCs (I don't know for a Mac). Maybe try a night-long RAM memory test?

Memory-problems often show up only on memory-intensive software that occupies nearly all of the RAM: 3D-software, browsers with a ton of open tabs all playing videos, etc.

Posted (edited) · compatibility mode all of a sudden?

Well, it turns out there was 2 graphics card, 1 of which wasn't working but it wasn't being used anyways so we pulled it out, it didn't crash when we opened Cura or Sketchup (which it did prior to this, but not every time) BUT Cura still opens in Comparability mode on either 3.3 or 4.3, I'm attaching a word doc of both for the one instance where it opens in the log.

Allright, I attached a ZIP file with the word document in the Zip file for 1 instance of starting cura 4.3 where it goes into compatability mode, it does it every time now.

I also attached the same for Cura 3.3 in case that helps, 3.3 also goes into compatability mode.

Cura 4.3 Error Log into partial.zip Cura 3.3 Error Log into partial.zip

Edited by Oliveros

As another note, I ran a memory diagnostics or troubleshooting or whatever it's called and it came up with nothing wrong, when I looked in the devices the only thing showing an issue with anything was that graphics card that we removed. Now I don't see anything wrong, I've had Cura for some months and this is the only time we've had this issue, seemed a week or 2 after compatibility mode showed up, the first Blue Screen Of Death showed up, but its not always happening and happens so far when I open either sketchup or Cura and it happens right away, not in the middle of working, it's while the program is starting.

The maximum OpenGL version supported by the Geforce 8800 GT is OpenGL 3.3. The full, non-compatibility mode in Cura requires OpenGL 4.1 or newer. This GPU is only capable of compatibility mode in Cura.

If you had the full layer view before, it must have been using the other "non functioning" GPU.

Posted (edited) · compatibility mode all of a sudden?

That would make sense, LEt me see if I can get the name of the other one here and perhaps we can fix it?

Is there a way to fix that other GPU?

It said Code 43 that being why it stopped it.

Edited by Oliveros

So the one that stopped working is the Quadro 4000 BUT in speaking to my co-worker we never had our monitors plugged into that unit, only the 8800GT is what we plugged into.

So how does that work?

I pulled the Quadro out and cleaned it off and then put it back in, in a different slot this time to make sure it wasn't a bad connection in the former slot, it then showed up as functioning properly but when I tried to start Cura it crashed, I tried to start it again and it crashed and then it came up as not working again, so it seems there's an issue with that GPU for sure. 

Just not sure what to do from here.