Print Time

Posted · Print Time

Hello- I've recently upgraded my Cura  from 3.6 to 4.5 .  I used the same settings on both versions but the 4.5 version print time is about twice the length. Any ideas as to what might be happening?

Posted · Print Time

Attached are the settings for both versions of Cura and for some reason the Cura 4.5 print time for one part I am trying to print is around 5 hours versus 3 hours when sliced with version 3.6 . Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cura print comparison.jpg

Posted · Print Time

Perhaps the new print time estimation is more accurate because the machine acceleration and jerk in Cura reposent the real values in the firmware of your machine.

Diss you ever compare the time estimates to the real print time?

Posted · Print Time

I believe I have matched the settings but figure I missed something. I've attached the project file for both versions of Cura and you can see the print time is quite a bit longer for 4.5. Thanks for taking a look.

Cura 3.6.3mf Cura 4.5.3mf

Posted · Print Time

The only difference I saw was the support overhang angle being higher in the 3.6, depending on the part, that could make a significant difference.

Posted · Print Time

I appreciate you taking a look. In this model there is very little support so the difference from 45 to 50 degrees is only about 10 minutes of print time.

Posted · Print Time

Try to unhide some settings, like under speed, you have 2 settings visible in 3.6 and 1 on the other one. 

Just unhide all the settings and find what's consuming all the time, I believe there's a way to see the breakdown of what is consuming time.

Posted · Print Time
    16 hours ago, Oliveros said:

Try to unhide some settings, like under speed, you have 2 settings visible in 3.6 and 1 on the other one. 

Just unhide all the settings and find what's consuming all the time, I believe there's a way to see the breakdown of what is consuming time.

Yeah. Just hover your mouse over the (i) icon next to the print time.

Posted · Print Time

In Cura 3.6 you have jerk control and acceleration control enabled, so the requested speeds are different. In 3.6 you set the jerk to 20 mm/s, but in Cura 4.5 it is set to 8 mm/s by default.

Posted · Print Time

Thanks for the help. There was some difference in some of the speed settings like infill speed, etc. The part printed well in PETG with the Cura 4.5 settings but took quite a bit longer than 3.6. I printed out the same part with the 3.6 settings in PETG and the overall finish was much rougher and the part easily broke when flexing. I guess for the PETG to print properly, the slower speeds are necessary. Thanks again and really appreciate both of you looking into this.

Posted · Print Time

So you're all sorted out then?

Posted · Print Time

Yes- It seems the longer print time will be necessary to print the PETG properly. Thanks so much for your input.