Display panel fades away

championjc

Posted · Display panel fades away

just finished building my ultimaker original and the lettering on the display only stays visible for a few seconds before faiding to solid blue. also cannot connect to my computer via usb so i'm at a complete loss for a way forward at this point. any help is apreciated.

1) Does the green light come on and stay on when you power the UM?

2) Does the fan underneath the UM come on?

3) Do you have a volt meter? Check the voltages at IC1 - remove the fan and cover - it is in the corner near fan and gets the most air from the fan and should be lifted into the air path. It converts 19V to 12V. It has 3 pins. One is at 19V, one at ground, the other at 12V. Don't leave UM powered up without the cover and fan for more than 20 seconds at a time as this particular part will get very hot.

4) If everything working so far, consider removing the Arduino and plugging it in separately through USB. The USB cable powers it up. If you remove it TAKE YOUR TIME - be careful not to bend any pins - pry on one side, then the other, then repeat gradually. Arduino's are very inexpensive and available everywhere.

UM will send you a new board or new Arduino or new power supply once you diagnose this or you can just fix stuff yourself.

yes the green lights come on when i power the unit on.

yes the fan on the underside comes on.

i will have to stop and pick up a volt meter today.

i have found that i may not have a driver for the ardruino board and am looking at installing one as well.

can i get some clarification as to how i should test for these voltages. should i test pin 1 to pin 2 and pin 3 to pin 2? also the part at IC2 is flush with the board. testing in the above manner i get 19.25v and 11.95v respectively. i have removed the arduino board and tried connecting it to both my desktop and laptop. my desktop does not register it at all and my laptop says usb device failed to connect.

Those voltages are good (19V and 12V) just the way you said.

You can buy a new arduino quite inexpensive. $18 including shipping in USA. That's something like 12 euros.

But first I would do more testing - you need the arduino driver installed. You can get it by installing Cura as the Cura installer also installs the arduino usb driver. You don't need power to the arduino as it can get it's power through the USB.

Do any lights light up when you plug in the arduino? Do they flash/blink?

Does your computer make the "usb sound" when you plug in the arduino? (the same sound as when you plug in a camera or iphone or any other usb device). Do you have windows or mac?

The other issue "fading to blue" may be unrelated - the ulticontroller has a potentiometer that you can turn to fix this usually. It's easy to spot but you have to take all the wood off first.

how would i adjust the potentiometer on the display?

You just turn it. It has a plus-shaped slot so you can use a small phillips screwdriver. It's pretty obvious when you take the ulticontroller apart.

But I wouldn't do this until you are sure the arduino is working through the USB.

ok so i've got the arduino separated from the board. and the drivers set up, but when its hooked up i get a message saying your last usb device that was connected malfunctioned and did not start. when i open device manager i get a message saying device not started (code 10). where do i go from here?

mac or pc?

Try another machine maybe? I've had trouble connecting before - but it was fine after I power cycled the arduino.

When you open device manager and plug in the usb to the arduino it should power up the arduino in that moment and the device manager listing should change after a few seconds. Does it add the new device in the list of unknown usb devices or in the list of COM devices?

win8 on both machines. desktop i get nothing from the arduino being plugged in. on my laptop i got unknown device at first then once i updated the driver it comes up as the chosen board. but still says device malfunctioned and did not start.

Sounds like an electronics issue (not uncommon on the UM-Original sadly), fire off an email to support as they have quite some experience in tracking these down and have the ability to send spare parts if needed.

champion - what country are you in - please update your profile.

If it was me, and in USA, I would just order an arduino - $20 on ebay delivered rather than have one shipped from netherlands.

UM Support is great and will likely ship you a free part - contact by phone (english) or email. They work roughly 9am to 5pm Mon-Fri Netherlands time.

>but still says device malfunctioned and did not start.

I think I got that error once but it still worked - I forget. I definitely got that error once but I forget what happened after. In device manager if you see a COM port then note the value e.g. COM3, COM12, etc. Then run Cura and specify that com port in the cura settings. Try to re-install the firmware (make sure it is UM Original and not UM2).

alright so i got the new arduino board and hooked it up. i can connect to it as long as its turned off. once i turn it on i lose connection. any theories as to why this happens?

You can (and should) install cura without connecting the arduino to the UM.

1) Did you do that step?

2) After that Cura should be able to connect with the print window in Cura. Does that work?

It's good to do small steps to figure out exactly what the problem is.

3) The next step for me would be to connect the arduino to the UM PCB and power it up. Double check that the Ulticontroller display cables are connected correctly.

4) If now cura *can't* connect, yet before it *could* then check the power voltages. Do not leave the Ultimaker PCB powered up for more than 30 seconds as the voltage regulator gets very very hot without a fan.

5) If things aren't working at this point - check the power voltages at the voltage regulator. You should have 19V coming in and 12V going out. It's the 3 pin part that sticks up out of the PCB into the air flow. The 3rd pin on that part is 0V. This part may need replacing.

no i threw the arduino on the moment i got it. i had no problem updating the firmware. i've got the ulticontroller connected i can scroll through all the settings. so far i can connect to the arduino board but the moment i turn the power on i lose connection.

the voltage regulator at IC1 reads 19 and 12 volts as it should.

Maybe this is okay - try printing something from the SD card.

Also maybe you would be better off if you turn on the power and *then* connect the USB cable.

it went through the heating process then reset.

Oh - if you then click "reconnect" does that work? That happens to me A LOT! Maybe 60% of the time. I don't use USB printing much because of that. Also I found I could reduce those issues by setting print temperature to 0 and set the temperature manually. Then once it got close enough to the correct temperature I would start printing through USB.

Another solution for many people was to buy a powered USB hub or to switch to a different computer.

But more importantly:

It is better not to print through USB. Try printing through SD card instead.

i got through the first run wizard after changing to a custom firmware with a 115200 baud rate. then it stopped connecting to the computer again. i have yet to get any movement from any of the motors. so i am fairly flustered with this. i'd be happy to just print via SD card but i can't seem to get that to work either. it either gives me a max temp error or resets.

"max temp error" would explain a lot. That typically happens when you lose connection between the test head and the circuit board underneath the UM.

Power cycle your UM and set the nozzle temp to 100C (almost any temp will do). Then immediately (no need to wait) start moving the print head around to the 4 corners. That should typically create a "max temp error". Or you might even get the error before you start moving the print head. You need to fix this before you can get the printer to start moving the stepper motors.

Typically it is the connector that runs alongside the bowden. There is a spare set of connectors (with different color wires) that you can use instead - the second set is for a second extruder. Try using that set of wires - just plug those new wires in on both ends (at the print head and underneath on your circuit board). See if that helps with "maxtemp".

ok so i only get max temp on start up. a power cycle or two clears it. moving the print head around while its warming the extruder head does nothing. it continues to warm.

i can't get a connection to the printer from my computer once i flip the power switch.

loading gcode from the sd card it goes through the heating process and then resets when it gets to the set temperature.

ok so i only get max temp on start up. a power cycle or two clears it.

That's not good. You shouldn't get it on startup unless you are outdoors in freezing temperatures. Or if you put your UM in an oven.

loading gcode from the sd card it goes through the heating process and then resets when it gets to the set temperature.

resets? What resets? The screen resets to blank and reboots?

This just all sounds seriously bad. I think maybe you should see if you can send back the entire PCB including the Arduino. After all the things you tried already. Contact support at support.ultimaker.com

yes the screen blanks and the UM reboots.