cant slice correctly

cerami2

Posted · cant slice correctly

I am new to 3d printing and new to slicing .

I am trying to slice a cylinder with an interior 

I can slice it if the side is on the build plate' it will show me when I slice the interior and will print correctly When I  slice when it is standing up  it show the interior with in fill

I am new to 3d printing and new to slicing . I am using fusion 360 to create the file . can some one help me to figure out this problem or give me the correct settings in cura to fix this .Thank you 

409202230_slicedonbside.jpeg.6961a0a2bb6d648129cfd54705db6468.jpeg663384652_beforeslicingstandingup.thumb.jpeg.aa983461a309638c8b6f3050494604ec.jpeg642009732_slicedstandingup.thumb.jpeg.ff81b988d0463c4648ba66de27de17a9.jpeg

The model is probably non-manifold/“broken”. It needs to be repaired before it can be properly printed. Cura has an “Xray view”, hidden away on the Preview tab, which could show you (in red) where the problem is.

6 hours ago, ahoeben said:

The model is probably non-manifold/“broken”. It needs to be repaired before it can be properly printed. Cura has an “Xray view”, hidden away on the Preview tab, which could show you (in red) where the problem is.

OK thank you 

is the problem in Cura slicer or is the problem in fusion 360 were i created the obj file to export

Thank you 

I would say the problem is in the model. Fusion 360 normally exports good models though. Perhaps if you share the model I or someone else can have a look at it and see what is wrong about it.

Hadn't you check the model? Cura clearly give a warning that your model isn't watertight and have 11 sub meshes...

For Fusion 360 this is very uncommon and happen usually with meshes where you forgot to close/connect surfaces. With a real construction in Fusion this will not happen (except you will do walls with zero or smaller as line width thickness. My first thought was that you maybe had import a stl file to Fusion360? These kind of files I saw usually from SketchUp, never from Fusion360. Cura can't work with this model. There are too much errors (walls with zero thickness and some other problems).

Cura only shows that warning if you install the MeshTools plugin from the Marketplace.

Good point., you are right. Hadn't thought about this.

Well I fixed the problem by rebuilding from scratch.

I figured it would be quicker for me to start from scratch than trying to figure it out at this time 

Thank  you all for your help .I am  sure I will be asking for more help down the road

image1.jpeg

+1

This was a good decision. It's maybe a good idea installing the MeshTools plugin from @ahoeben too. It can save you a lot of headaches identifying those kind of problems.