Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
johan

Top layer

Hi

I have a problem with top layer not being totaly filled.

I have redused the acceleration settings in Marlin to 1000 ( from 3000) and that helped a bit, but still not good. The filament is squized out to about 0.9mm, but there is stil a gap of about 0.4 mm between each tread.

The perimeters and loops is perfect, so I dont think that I suffer from under extrution.

It looks like the hotend moves to fare from the previous tread....

This is my settings:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55953222/Settings.JPG

Johan

Please post a picture of the ".4mm gaps".

This could be caused by many things. The most likely is something called backlash which has the tell-tale pattern of every other line is touching, and then a gap (touching/gap/touching/gap repeats across the top). There are many things that cause backlash - the easiest to check is belt tension - usually short belts:

Here is a photo showing backlash and how it was fixed:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/1872-some-calibration-photographs/?p=14396

The very next post explains what causes the pattern.

Hi,

Thought I had my shortbelts nice and tight, but....

I have covered the printer with a large plastic sheet, to create a heated champer, so I guess the wood have dried out and loosened the bolts for the steppers.

I will run a new print tomorrow to se if the problem is solved, but I really think you nailed it!

Thank you!

Johan