Unable to slice a thin item

thanar

Posted (edited) · Unable to slice a thin item

Hello,

First post here, did look around but could not find a solution, although a couple of topics were very close to the issue I am facing.

I have an Anet A8 and am trying to print the attached thin ring. It's thickness is around 1.2mm. My printer has the default nozzle of 0.4mm.

Upon adding the item to Cura, and hitting the slice button, I end up with nothing. Tried playing around with changing the nozzle size in the software all the way down to 0.1mm, changed the walls down to 0.1mm, still nothing came out of the slicer! Also tried the "print thin walls" option, nothing! Is there something wrong with the model? Any ideas?

philips_ring.stl

Edited by thanar

Posted (edited) · Unable to slice a thin item

Thanx a lot! That's what happens when there's an expert around: you get an instant reply.

So, I managed to fix the item using Blender's 3D-print Toolbox and seems to be printing fine now. The item was put together in SketchUp, I really wasn't expect it to have 36 holes, you really can't see anything wrong on SketchUp! Geez... I would also expect Cura itself to be able to take care of such minor discrepancies, but that's another story I guess...

Thank you.

Edited by thanar

Posted · Unable to slice a thin item

sketchup is designed to make nice models in virtual space.  Not physical space.  Most CAD programs are made to create real life parts.  If you don't want to learn a new cad then you need to read this to become a sketchup-to-3dprint expert - it's an easy read - took me about 2 minutes to get all the points absorbed:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

• Like 1