Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
rhymeandreason

How to switch nozzles for the UM2?

You'll have to remove the 4 screws on the side that hold the fans. Then heat up the hotend. Finally rotate the "ring with holes" to push out the hot hotend. You can rotate this by using the screw-driver as lever.

When inserting the new nozzle, make sure the teflon piece is pushed up, as the teflon needs to make a perfect contact area with the nozzle pipe, or else you'll get plugs.

The nozzle and heater-block are 1 part on the UM2. The nozzle that is sold in the shop is for the UM-Original.

I have a UM2.

I really want to print with the wood filament, but it looks like I'll need a .8mm nozzle.

I have an extra nozzle to drill out. But how do I switch out the existing nozzle for the new one?

This would be handy for maintenance in general...to know how to replace this part.

Another option before replace.

http://colorfabb.com/woodfill/6-woodfill-fine-300.html

PRE-ORDER NOW! SHIPPING STARTS EARLY DECEMBER

Wood filled filament for 3D printing

Effective Diameter = 2.85 mm +/- 0.10 mm

1 Spool contains approx. 750 grams of filament

Processing temperature = 195 - 230 degrees C

Nozzle diameter: 0.4mm

also i think this must work too.

https://www.igo3d.com/pla-abs-filament/special-filaments-3-00mm-nylon-laywood-laybrick-glow-in-the-dark-for-3d-printer/laywoo-d3-wood-filament.html

iam so interesting in print with wood filament as well but not in change nozzle usualy.

Thank you, Daid!

I'll post woody results once we've gotten through all the steps.

@NachoKaoS

I've tried the Laywood. It sometimes prints, and sometimes gets stuck. Not badly stuck, but it seems the wood particles are sometimes not consistent.

A wider nozzle seems to be the way to go, plus I like how the coarse colorfabb wood looks a lot better.

rhyme - I don't think you followed nacho's links. There are different types of laywood and his is designed for smaller nozzles (finer wood particles).

Are you sure you got the correct spare UM2 nozzle? Or did you get the UM1 nozzle?

hi there

i used to print a lot with laywood (from orbi-tech, on an U1) but stopped because i was geting more and more clogs.

then i got a drill and made myself a 0.8 nozzle, but unfortunately it still got clogged :(

right now i am a little bit frustrated and haven't done anymore testing, but i assume it might have something todo with print speed and temperature.

good luck, having a 0.8 nozzle is awesome anyways, as it really speeds up bigger prints :)