Print on top of existing object with different material

multiholle

Posted · Print on top of existing object with different material

I would like to print an easter egg with a logo on one side. I created a model for the egg and one for the logo. How can I tell Cura to print the egg first, change the material and print the logo on top of the existing object? I can't use change material as height because the logo is curved.

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 20.58.34.png

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 20.58.41.png

Posted (edited) · Print on top of existing object with different material

Hi Multiholle,

I fear your project is only possible with a dual (or multi) extrusion printer, because fdm printing works building layer-by-layer. Printing on top of curved surfaces is (actually yet) impossible.

But: your design is exactly what you need to make a dual material print (in Cura: load both files, merge files and connect each file with another extruder).Cura print guide - Printing with two colors.pdf

Regards

Edited by Enigma_M4
    Cura print guide
    • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Enigma_M4 how can i print two parts on top of each other in different colors with only 1 extruder? The object are flat by the way. I have the same question as Multiholle but mine are flat surfaces.

Multi material with a single extruder? I think this only works with a special setup as the Prusa MMS or the Palette. But that's totally out of my knowledge.

Regards

Ok, I understand. I misunderstood your question. If it' just one object on top of another (and another object ontop...) and each objects has an unique material and colour, you could try to do it "manually" by stacking the objects in Cura and manually change the filament, using post processing scripts (for example "pause at hight" or "change at hight").

Posted (edited) · Print on top of existing object with different material

Could you not "PAUSE" the printer after curve has completed, remove the material, then insert different colour? Making sure you "FOOL" the printer into thinking, it's the SAME material by choosing the material manually and not via NFC tag?

Edited by Carbon

On a single-nozzle printer, another option might be to cut out the drawing from the base, all the way down to the bottom. So you have two separte models: the base, and the drawing. Print both in separate jobs. And assemble and glue both together. You will need to add quite a bit of tolerances, test, and post-process each part, to get the thin parts into the base. And it won't look very smooth probably. But it should be doable.