Small pieces attached to outside of the print

Crash55

Posted · Small pieces attached to outside of the print

On both my Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker S5 I get little pieces of the ABS material sticking off the side of the print (see pictures).  This is using the AA 0.8 core.  If I use the AA 0.4 core I get smaller versions of these but still some.  The part is U shaped and it is always on the inside of the U.  

I am printing the same part on a Lulzbot Taz 6 and there the most  get are a few thin strands I can easily brush away.

20200409_122328.jpg

20200409_122333.jpg

These "insect antennas" come from the nozzle leaking while traveling through air. Upon arriving at the next wall, it deposits that leak as a drop on the side of the wall. Upon the next layer, the drop is deposited on top of the existing drop. And so on, causing a nice insect antenna.

If you watch closely while printing, you can see the antennas growing with each nozzle pass.

So you need to tune your settings for less leaking while traveling (print slow, cool, thin layers, enough retraction, travel fast through air), or for not traveling through air at all, if the model allows it. But I have never printed ABS (apart from one test cube), so I can't give more specific tips.

Here a few pics: one closup, and the other showing the dimensions of the piece related to other parts and a ruler (in mm and cm). This is printed with a 0.4mm nozzle, in PLA, after I forgot to switch retraction on.

microscope5.thumb.png.0a792ceff97c232fc3c2e9ac90f6de48.png

microscope10.thumb.png.f19ba929a276abe9c32cc4b0c807b4c9.png

That was what I was afraid you were going to say.  I am trying to turn out lots of these headbands so I need to print as fast as I can.  Guess I will tweak things until I get a minimum number of antennae.

I think the reason I am seeing this on my Ultimakers and not the Lulzbot is due to the different feed mechanisms.  The Lulzbot is pulling whereas the Ultimaker is pushing.