Can I put the start g-code before heating?

Posted · Can I put the start g-code before heating?

I would like to complete auto-leveling and move the nozzle to a safe position before heating.
I have added the g-code as start g-code, but unfortunately, the start g-code is always added after heating, I have to modify the g-code every time after generated.

May I know if there has any way to put the start g-code before heating?
Or it's it possible to disable the generated code for heating, and let me insert them inside the start g-code with some parameter for temperature?  

Thanks.

Cura checks if the start gcode contains commands to heat up the hotend and bed before the print is started. If the start gcode does not have command to do that, CuraEngine adds the three lines (M190, M104, M109) before your start gcode just to make sure that the hotend is not cold before starting the actual print.

If you don't want Cura to add these lines, make sure your start gcode contains lines which have {material_print_temperature_layer_0} and {material_bed_temperature_layer_0} in them respectively. eg:

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Start heating bed
    M190 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Wait for bed to reach temp before proceeding
    M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Start heating extruder
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Wait for extruder to reach temp before proceeding

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Check the bed temperature in the advanced settings ("sidebar"). Any value set in the profile(s) for your printer will override what is set for the material.

Wait! I tried this, and it works!

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_1} ;Start heating bed
    M190 S{material_print_temperature_layer_1} ;Wait for bed to reach temp before proceeding
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Wait for extruder to reach temp before proceeding

I simply put a number 1 for the layer!

I think the error is actually in the definition of print or bed on line 2.

M190 S{material_print_temperature_layer_1} ;Wait for bed to reach temp before proceeding

Should be BED on line 2:

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_1} ;Start heating bed
    M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_1} ;Wait for bed to reach temp before proceeding
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Wait for extruder to reach temp before 

This is what I needed to get the final step of my printer with a BLTouch working as intended!

Thanks everyone here! This was awesome! My CR-10 V3 is printing amazing now!

You don't actually need all 4 lines. This is what I use. Start the bed heating, then immediately start the nozzle heating and wait. Once the nozzle is heated it will proceed to the third line which ensures the bed temp reaches printing temp before starting the print.

This way IF the bed isn't to temp before the nozzle, the third line makes sure the bet temp reaches the set value. If the bed reaches temp first, it just goes on to the next line, which in my case is homing.

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Start heating bed to temp

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Start extruder heating and wait to reach material temp before proceeding

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Ensures bed heats to temp before proceeding if it hasn't already

And it SAVES A WHOLE LINE OF CODE! Whoop-dee-doo! 😜

There is no keyword "material_bed_temperature_layer_1" so it would be ignored.  The list of keywords is HERE.