Software scaling bug

Berard

Posted · Software scaling bug

Hello,

I ran into some scaling issues where prints didn't quite fit where they should. I thought it was shrinking, but I found something out;

I desiged a thing in SolidWorks, saved it als STL, imported it in cura and the Y-dimension is incorrect. According to SolidWorks, my model is 193mm x 198,50mm x 106mm. In cura, the size suddenly changes to 193mm x 194,58mm x 106mm. Thats a 3,92mm difference, nearly exactly the same difference as i measured in a recent print which was also designed in solidworks, but where the print did not fit. I have added the STL, I can't upload the solid works file, but I have added an image with the X and Y sizes

I hope this can be patched out soon, because I can't print anything size-sensitve at the moment. I can turn unifrom scaling off and force the correct Y-size, but I am not sure this will fix my issue.

Thanks in advance!

Cura model sizes.jpg

SW model sizes.jpg

Paint holder.STL

Posted · Software scaling bug

Hello Burtoogle,

Thanks for your check and sorry for the late response. I thought that if you had the same results, the save to STL might be wrong. I searched in possible SolidWorks issues and I have found the issue!

When you save a file as STL, you can go into the options (in the save window) and determine the allowed error. In my opinion, these settings wee way to high, causing the STL to have incorrect sizes. I set everything to minimal allowed deviation and the STL came out correct.

Thanks for the help! This problem is now solved.