Bridging - start above a wall?

men8ifr

Posted (edited) · Bridging - start above a wall?

How do I get the bridging areas to start printing above a wall? 

e.g. this bridging test has 2 walls 

image.thumb.png.8490c19fd7182e86e0ad3047b05ac695.png

But then it starts the infill from inside the inner wall.. not very good to get the infill to 'stick' or start since it starts the infill in mid-air

image.thumb.png.9828eb77aa0489dc597b9d1f44f6984a.png

So can I get it to start the bridging lines after the outer wall? i..e only have one wall in the layer with the infill? 

Bridge Test.stl

Edited by men8ifr

Posted · Bridging - start above a wall?

I printed that model with good results. I used a line width of 0.4mm and 10% skin overlap and, of course, the bridge settings enabled. It didn't drop any of the first bridge skin lines.

Screenshot_2020-04-17_13-09-13.thumb.png.5cdbf5de4a9254d8f75787175d1ab5d8.png

Here's the first bridge layer...

IMG_20200417_130739525.thumb.jpg.ca1d4f0b88bcf88ccc2d993f7ce25530.jpg

• Like 1

This is very interesting, what kind of printer is this?

Using blue tape only, -in order to prevent heat from the bed destroying the first bridge level.

Great demonstration of using bridging.

Thanks

Torgeir.

My results look quite poor when the bridge starts in mid-air

image.png.48817c3a4c98fa9381b9be4fc04f542c.png

But if the bridged material has some chance to start over the top of something else the results are near perfect (below) 

image.thumb.png.88acf9c5d04ef6eb7b7d06f9c60cffaa.png

Much better results with the bridging starting over the edges, also much longer bridging here and almost no sagging 

Edited by men8ifr
    • Like 1

I'm definitely getting better results where I can start the bridging layers over something solid. 

image.png.1a23a6f899cf8bd7c284de12e8d0234e.png

Left is Cura 5mm/s 100% fan 70% flow PLA 200deg , same settings with prusa (right) difference is Prusaslicer allows me to start the bridging above the inner wall. 

Edited by men8ifr

What value is the skin overlap? Maybe you need to increase it?

10%, but that was set for print quality in other areas. TBH I'm now using Prusa slicer to slice this I cannot get Cura to start the bridges over something solid and it makes a huge difference to the print quality (for me at least). 

I've had similar problems, my bridges stop before reaching the walls in cura. I've tried tweaking all overlaps and coasting settings etc, but can't seem to fix this. Would be nice to have a "start bridge on wall" setting, adjustable to the amount of wall or just a good overlap setting for bridges specifically.

• Like 2