Can Cura slow down just Y axis?

fred18

Posted · Can Cura slow down just Y axis?

Hi all,

that's my first post, I hope I am doing things in the right way. 

I have a question: I am printing a quite tall piece with a bit of a small base. I am using brim etc of course to maximize adhesion, but a question came to my mind. The big risk of failing for this print are the movements on the Y axis, since the entire plate is moving. The higher the print gets, the more air drag you have together with a higher CoG of the piece generating greater inertia forces. So basically Y movement needs to be slow (in acceleration for inertia and in speed for air drag) in order to minimize failing risks. But X axis does not have this issue since the part is still and it's the nozzle who is moving around. So my question is: is there any option anywhere in Cura that makes it possible to limit the speed just on the Y axis (of course the speed on the X should be recalculated and each time in order to combine it with the limitation on the Y). 

Thank you in advance for any kind reply,

Fred

Posted · Can Cura slow down just Y axis?

I've never used one but I've seen many printers where the Y axis moves the bed (and therefore also the part being printed).

These printers almost exclusively use Marlin firmware which has separate speed limits for X and Y axes.  More importantly, separate acceleration for X versus Y axis.  You can set these values on your printer (hopefully).  Some versions of Mariln you have to set these values in Configuration.h and recompile the firmware.  Anyway the manufacturer of your printer should have set these values to reasonable settings for your particular printer.

You may be able to mess with them in the menu system - typically in a menu called "motion settings".

So if you set the speed for example to 200mm/sec in Cura, the Y axis will be limited by that speed limit and shouldn't actually move that fast.  And more importantly, the Y acceleration should be slower than the X acceleration.