Factory reset every time power is cycled

alunna

Posted · Factory reset every time power is cycled

I decided it was finally time to try to upgrade the firmware (4.3.96) that got stuck in one of my printers several months ago. It has never been able to upgrade the firmware since and has the bug where you have to restart after removing a print. I had to change which network I was on at work to get outside connectivity. When I setup the new wifi network the wifi started acting crazy. I tried going back to my normal network. Now the wifi won't connect, it will just turn off the wifi and think there is an ethernet cable connected. The worst part though is that now every time power gets cycled the printer thinks its new out of the box and I have to go through the new printer setup. That would only be a minor annoyance most of the time, but now I have to print off a usb and when it is done I am forced to reboot because of the firmware, it's much more of an issue.

The printer is about 3 years old and heavily used. Is it just old and ready for replacement, or is this related to the firmware?

Hi alunna,

3 years are no age for an UM3, and intensive use isn't either, if it's properly maintained.

I suppose, you're stuck somewhere in the step stone firmware, that was needed to update to version 5 (don't know exactly, which versions were involved there). So you could try the "unbricking" procedure, described in the linked post:

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/28247-um3-system-boot-cannot-start-up-system-failure/?do=findComment&comment=240649

(its: https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/20024-recovering-a-bricked-um3/ )

and return to a working firmware version and retry the update / upgrade again (I never had any issues updating the firmware, but I ever used "hardwired" ethernet instead of wifi).

Regards

Actually, 4.3.96 IS the stepping stone firmware, which was never meant to be used for printing, but only to make the step to 5.x. The last "working" firmware was/is 4.3.3.

Regards