Filament change at layer

bigone5500

Posted · Filament change at layer

I think he did about 50 re-installs on 3 different computers and it started working.  Something isn't right.

With the PauseAtHeight active - slice a model.  Open the Gcode file in a text editor and search for pause you should come across the line ;script: PauseAtHeight.py that the plug-in added.  About 9 lines later there should be an M0.  If it's there then the problem is that the firmware isn't configured to recognize it.  You didn't mention your printer but I think Creality has been playing with the firmware on a regular basis and not telling anyone.  Consequently it might not be a Cura issue, but then again it might.

As a second thought - if you do come across an M0 and the printer doesn't want to pause then try changing it to M1.  It's a deprecated pause code that is an alias for M0.

• 2 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Filament change at layer

Please help... i am new to 3d.. but kinda know whats goin on...i can get the ender v3 to stop printing and retract and extrude but cannot get it to pause for the time i set the disarm/time ...what can i do..ive even tryed to slice on Repetier @(pause).. have no idea what that is but, it did not work either...

Edited by nitro20

Hope its readable..i havent updated firmware because of the warning of the z axis being disabled during prints and i am new but that would the only way to get .2 to hieght with out a out leveler...ive tryed to put M1 where M0 is at but no worky...all day ive at this....ive even tryed to payse in scriped mode and it just keeps on keepin on... another question is why cant i use crealities firmware up grades.. 

16098956653581856358425035756300.jpg

Sorry Nitro20.  This appears to be a Creality problem.  M0 and M1 should be enabled in the stock firmware and either one should pause the print.  The "Disarm Timeout" number is to keep the motors from losing position during a pause and I would set it to 1800.  That's 30 minutes.

The rest of your questions regarding firmware and so forth are also questions for Creality.  I've never seen a need to alter the firmware on my Ender and I don't want to have to learn how.  You can try searching for answers or posting your questions about firmware over on Reddit.

Is it crealities firmware or the mother board they are useing or what...if i upgraded to the marlin firm ware from the  acual marlin site would this fix it..

this seems like an easy fix,  but then again i just started learing gcode last night...lol..or so thought, seems i was playing with a form gcode in the 80s at school typed in a x,y, and a block appeared on the screen...

"Is it crealities firmware or the mother board they are useing or what."

Now you are asking good questions.  Creality is very hard to get hold of and even harder to get information out of.  Their sales have outstripped their production of motherboards and it looks like they were grabbing whatever came to hand first.  They don't tell anyone that of course.  My gut feeling is that it's the combination of motherboard and display driver for some things (like M0 and M117).  The firmware works on certain motherboards but is sketchy on others.

Updating firmware can be easy or extremely frustrating.  I avoid it like the plague.

I've just had a thought...

What type of display does your printer have?  Post a picture with the machine turned on if you aren't sure.

Yes i totally agree with you.. and if someone isnt savy on knowlege of things like comupter chip production, well then...like i said, i rememeber this crap 10 years with quadcopters...took up weeks of free time just to figure out why somehing was happening as companies avertised as if they were ready to fly...fun times...so fun i hung them up 4 years ago and i might fly 3 times a year.....lol...

16099667517667233054805235060069.jpg

16099668596394262706694087317091.jpg

As we speak im tryin this..setting up the pause at hieght extention and then when it beeps ill shut the machine off..mock up color change then turned on....waiting to heat up.................la la la la.. la la

ok here we go.

Fudgek!!!!

this was the second attempt at that, and when i confirm to go back to the file inturupted goes threw the motions and then it returns to a Z location about 7 mm up on a 15mm test block...

Edited by nitro20

So my ocd tells me the only way to get a color change is to split the file into to parts...how is this done? I have tryed to copynpaste the beginnings and ending were i want but it stops. Goes over to home, and then trys to extrude like 5000 at 400s... no good..i see this in the code, ive read somthing on this in reddit but i dont understand were he places that command..seems so easy..i just dont know enough..

I don't think there is anyplace for a message to fit on that screen.  It should go in the top line where it would say "printing" or "Ender 3 Ready" or something.  But when sending an M117 (that should send a message to display on the LCD) nothing happens.

M0 sends a message to the display also.  It sends "Click to Continue", but that isn't accepted by the mainboard because it can't display it.  I think it's throwing out the whole command.  Definitely sounds like a Creality thing to me.

File on File printing.  This is something I know quite a bit about but that I'm too lazy to explain.  Instead, you can use the Pause function of the LCD.  Unfortunately, the heaters go off when you use it so there will be a wait before it starts up again and you will have to hand prime the hot end until the color changes.  It requires some practice.

Ok check this out man....ive only into 3d printing for 3 weeks. Ive printed and tested about a hundred .2mm squares to figure out how i can get this to work..............just now...i copiednpasted beginnings and ends to the spot i want, and at first i tryed to add a few more extusion lines at the start, although i could get the machine to run my new path it would not extrude the amounts paste from original start...x and y worked perfectly, ( mabye you can point me in a direction there) so then after 30 or so failures, i inserted a pause at hieght extention just after the 2nd start menu, so i could extrude the old color easily from a .2 tip. It went back to the previous z axis within .10 or so....

so now i know this...i can alter start and finishgcodes successfully. i can press the on screen pause in the middle of the 1st and 2nd gcodes, i can insert pause at hieght extention before to pull filiment back end of code and to push old color through at start of code and it works as long and the is a return to home somewhere close...so now i can put a beeper in my end of code M300, pause if i need to, but there seems to be enough time time make a safe color change between codes............ seems like alot to do but i think after 20 times it will get simpler....until a fix...

Think bout that shit????

Now if a 45 year old that has no to little gcode knowledge except for the shit i think gcode is from back in the 80s with revenge of the nerds computer pictures i learned how to do in 2nd grade,

im prety sure a group of very intelligent code writers code find a way to hack this shit into an app and fix this freakin problem!!!

Or am i off topic? 

Me and ocd kinda go our own direction sometimes without general knowledge of what im talking about...lololololol

Removed.

Edited by GregValiant

From a 70 year old who was around when Gcode was discovered in a bar near MIT.

Nother thing thats bugging me..how come v2 can pause by screen but cant by mother board...i think u tryed to explain that, but why not do somthing there. Makes no sense, it pauses, but it dosent pause..lololol...

Edited by nitro20

Really.. mit in a bar... ok so am i kinda on the right mind set..is gcode kinda that revenge of the nerd  computers graphics from way back?

1950's at MIT where it was developed to make machines move.  I'm not that old, but my first college programming class was with analog computers.

Removed.

Edited by GregValiant

I am alittle scetchy bout downloading stuff from stangers into my computer.im sure ur a great guy..buuttt t

To many "people apps" in the world...mabye ill get tired of my way and get it from you....but for now..i just accomplished a successful color change test print .....i did 2 extensions and even had the first one pull out 300mm of filiment, so all i had to do is load in the new, only purgeing the 2nd extension and placing that extension after the start up code.......guess now all i have to do is save this part and paste into my scrips replace the layer part with the right layer hight.....

Took me literaly 3 days to figure this out.... good thing its winter and my dogs ear is ruptured

or work might have gotten in the way of success...lololololol...

Boss i backed into my boat trailor, wont be making it into work today,

Is getting old..lololol

Got it!!!!! Fuel rail for a RC drag boat ive been wanting to build for 15 years....

Finish/start/extention 

Extension set to 0 values except x,y bed temp,  and alarms, if wanted.

Start up extudes all old color, 0 values takes care of blobby mess created from extension extuding process, i put a M600 just before ending

Then,  just after alarm, press pause, change color, and return to printing..

one thing, i had to adjust z axis about -2 times the layer hieght, i did this when it is paused, z axis is locked for the first pass for some reason...

For this thing i set speed at 25% at restart to melt that first layer in.. seems to be as good as a straight print..

I think smaller isnt an option....lololol.

20210108_113910.jpg

20210108_113806.jpg

So you got the Pause at Height to work?  Or did you build your own workaround?

Right on!    So first off i want to say i fully appreciate you, thanks for your offerings,  dont mean to come off being an ass....im sure you worked hard on those cura apps u offered.......and as curious as i am to the help u offered, i still dont know two shits from my own.....lololol.

you know? why we are even on this thing we call a "planet"...or a perfectly working spaceship

and 3D printing is like connect 4 on a family vacation "trip" just to keep the kids busy till we got there...lololol.....

So.....what i did was set up a beginning and and end to the gcode, i saved that back to back, added and extention pause/hieght, setting the extude and retract extrude to 0 because in the code it extruded and retracted that same amount, bla bla...dont know what deal was, i didnt get the blob that came out as it went back after restart..ive heard of this blob, im in the 2-4mm range and a blob isnt acceptable..

But anyway, i put the pause at hieght at the beginning of  start,not before, after restart and on the line just above that i put a M300 to warn me when the end was near, then i could pull filiment out and press pause or just put filiment in as it set up for restart, i had plenty of time, extuder tip stays bout 165-185 unless paused..i just pause after beep, thats what we are after,RIGHT, a pause print, and a return to print without a fudge up...the only thing i cant understand is why is goes back to an z axis 2 layers higher then previous. So if at .12 layer hieght, before i return to print, i set to -2Xs that value so it would return to the z axis hieght...if i could fudge that...it would work perfectly....im sure most folk make sure that layers are mashing appropriately before leaving....but all in all it takes me about 5 minutes to make a 3 color change in gcode and im sure the printing process would be the same for most.....and im not kidding,,,, i have no to little confuser/computer knowledge, finding out how dumd i acully am...lol..

You can see the bloby mess on the return in this pic from 1am last night......and enders holds it rep., buy it and see if u can make it work....lollololol..

20210107_165637.jpg