3rd Party materials, NFC & Filament change over

aoeng

Posted · 3rd Party materials, NFC & Filament change over

Greetings All,

We recently purchased a S5 Pro bundle and I am in the process for getting it setup, received it last week. I have some questions about how the material station behaves and I haven't been able to find answers in the manual or the forum, so here goes.

I just had my first NFC fail -  this seems be not uncommon - after a bit of mucking around I understand I can safely set the filament type during loading to a generic version on the printer interface. My understanding is that the generic material settings are the same as the ultimaker materials by default.

My question is, if I have two of the same filament spools loaded (Ultimaker PVA) and one has the NFC fail, and has been set to generic PVA. What happens when the active PVA spool runs out? Will the printer treat them as the same? Loading the other spool and contimue with the print. Or will it throw an error and wait for me to do something?

My next question is, what is the difference between having the spool identified via NFC and entering the material type manually? From what I've read, other than making things simpler by identifying the material type, it only keeps track of the amount of filament remaining and the colour of the filament. Does the NFC have any other functions?

Finally, do any 3rd party filaments - I am thinking of materials alliance products - use the NFC tags or are the materials manually entered?

Thanks for your help,

Robbo

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Dont think it will automatically change over, regardless of nfc or not.

have not heard of any other filaments having nfc tags.  It’s not a big deal when you get used to it 

On 5/4/2020 at 9:04 PM, aoeng said:

Greetings All,

We recently purchased a S5 Pro bundle and I am in the process for getting it setup, received it last week. I have some questions about how the material station behaves and I haven't been able to find answers in the manual or the forum, so here goes.

I just had my first NFC fail -  this seems be not uncommon - after a bit of mucking around I understand I can safely set the filament type during loading to a generic version on the printer interface. My understanding is that the generic material settings are the same as the ultimaker materials by default.

My question is, if I have two of the same filament spools loaded (Ultimaker PVA) and one has the NFC fail, and has been set to generic PVA. What happens when the active PVA spool runs out? Will the printer treat them as the same? Loading the other spool and contimue with the print. Or will it throw an error and wait for me to do something?

My next question is, what is the difference between having the spool identified via NFC and entering the material type manually? From what I've read, other than making things simpler by identifying the material type, it only keeps track of the amount of filament remaining and the colour of the filament. Does the NFC have any other functions?

Finally, do any 3rd party filaments - I am thinking of materials alliance products - use the NFC tags or are the materials manually entered?

Thanks for your help,

Robbo

It wont change over unless the second spool is manually set to generic as well. What I do is take the NFC tag off the spool and manually tape it to the left side of the holder. That's worked 100% of the time for me. Only ultimaker materials come with NFC tags I'm 99% sure. You just select the type of filament after loading it for 3rd party