Print time with dissolvable support

Posted · Print time with dissolvable support

I'm considering buying an Ultimaker dual extrusion printer. I have a question about the dual extrusion functionality with dissolvable support material. If one were to print something with dissolvable support material and then print the same thing with only one material (meaning the support material is non-dissolvable), approximately what percent increase in print time should I expect for the print with dissolvable support material? I would like to know what's the smallest possible increase in print time assuming one configures a support interface to optimize the usage of dissolvable support material and takes other measures to reduce print time.

Here is an example

PLA print and support from extruder 1 only.

image.thumb.png.9a1454c20d2b3ea5154cb6f71ad2a5f7.png

PLA print + PLA support extruder 1  + PVA floor/roof support extruder 2

image.thumb.png.6f90e54259262e0e082f8adacb45475b.png

I would say its best to download Cura and add your own stl's and slice to see the times, thats the best way to get a real understanding. You don't need to own the printer to be able to do this 🙂